Friday, November 4, 2011

Week 5: I can't believe it's almost been five weeks!

Bonjour! Ma famille et mis amies!
Comment ca va tout le monde? Bien, j'espere. This has been a crazy week. As usual. It wouldn't be the MTC if it wasn't.
But first to answer your questions dear mother. The food: Umm let's just say I will be really happy when I'm in Canada and can eat real human food. It's not so bad. I eat a lot of salads and cereal and carbs:) I'll survive. But if you feel obliged send Iron Girl bars!:) My (estimated) Departure date is: November 21! It's scary and exciting all at the same time. Health: I've been pretty healthy thus far. I did have a cold a couple of weeks ago and that wasn't too fun. But I'm doing pretty well:)
I can't believe it's almost been five weeks! Only 17 months! That is sad. Boo! But I still have loads to learn, ie French, not laughing when someone says "Cher Peleste" instead of "Cher Pere Celeste" during a prayer. It's a strange feeling knowing I've been here for over a month. Somedays I'll be walking to class and see other groups of missionaries and think "Hey! It's the missionaries!" and then I realize "Hey! That's me!" It's a very unreal feeling.
Yesterday we had a PVL(Parle Votre Langue) day where everyone only spoke French. Man. We are practically fluent now. I'm certain that all these grammar rules we have been learning our so unnecessary, we got along just fine congugated everying in present tense first person:) Kidding! If anything I realized how terrible my French truly is, but oh well. I do have hope because everyone's English is getting worse and worse. Here are some things said in our classroom this week that is proof of this.
-"Why did you wear your hair today?"
-"We will preparate you for baptism."
-"Let's engage him to go to church."
-"Do you have any opo-shun to teaching tommorrow?
-"This will change your life dramastically."
Yes. It's true. We can't speak French or English. It seems like the longer we've been here the more slap happy everyone gets. We are very, VERY easily entertained. Like puppies in a pet shop.
Last week during P-Day we were writing letters in our classroom and the fire alarm started going off. We all shuffled outside to stand in the parking lot. I kept thinking "if this building is on fire, shouldn't we be standing as far away as possible?" Then they shuffled us to the field across the street. It was so neat! Massive chaos of Elder's and Sisters who were trying to figure out what was going on. My district met up with the rest of our zone on the field. It was epic. Do you understand how epic this was for us? We spend 16 hours a day in the same classroom. Standing in the field for no reason was like elementary field day. EPIC! Then my DL Elder Adams and I started playing a game called "What were you doing when the fire alarm went off?" We saw: an elder in a bathrobe(don't worry he totally had his tag on), a sister with a towel on her head, senior couples with towels wrapped around them(even though they were fully clothed?), elder's with no shoes, sister's with half of their make up. It was so neat! The best part was...no fire! But that didn't stop me from singing "RYAN! started the fire!". This also was EPIC!
So on a more serious note....Somedays here a more than a little discouraging. I often find myself thinking "How in heaven's name am I supposed to teach in 3 languages. I can't even speak English anymore." It's rough waters at times. But last Sunday Elder Scott was here. Yes. You heard me: Elder Richard G. Scott. Was a great spirit he has. He told us that we were not here by coincidence nor were we called to our specific missions by coincidence, but that God, our Heavenly Father had planned for us to be here. It spoke volumes of peace to my mind. For some reason, the Lord believes in my ability to speak French, Spanish, and English:) I realized that if the Lord, God Almighty believes I can do it. Chances are I can. My bishop also gave a talk this Sunday where he reminded us that it's okay if our French isn't perfect because as long as we teach with authority and the spirit we will be fine, because the spirit speaks French perfectly. I have thought a lot about that. It's so true. The spirit is fluent in all languages.
On Sunday we also watched a film about the building of the Kirtland temple. There was a line in the movie that immobilized me. The narrator said "The Lord asked us to build a temple. It was something none of us had ever done. But we knew since it was His will we could do it." I realized this, me serving a mission, is the Lord's will. I can do it. I can speak French. I can not be homesick:) I can be patient with my investigators and companion. Because the Lord is the Great I Am.
I'm so happy to be serving a mission. I've had my ups and downs but overall, I know without a doubt in my heart that the Lord needs me in Montreal Canada speaking French and Spanish and even English. I'm so grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I'm grateful that he knows me and loves me more than I can comprehend at times. Thank you for your love and support! to a missionary it means everything. I love you all so much.
Avec tout de mon coeur,
Soeur Perkins
P.s. Mom i have no idea where the nurses station is? Is it in immunizations?
p.p.s. If you don't get a letter this week I promise to send you one next week. And don't forget: I love you! Toujour!

No comments: