Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Week 7: 2 Weeks to Go!


Bonjour toute le monde!
How is everyone doing? We're surviving here at the MTC. I can't believe that we have less than to weeks to go here. I'm supposed to be getting my travel plans this Thursday! So, I'll let you know next week when I'm supposed to fly out. This has been an absolutely crazy experience, with plenty of highs and lows. But as the hymn says, "All is well."
Last week we had 25 new arrivals in our zone and 8 of them were sisters! This is the largest the French zone has been in a long time. It's been really fun watching all the little guys come in and seeing them go through the exact same struggles and trials I had when I got here. We just keep reminding them that the MTC goes by in the blink of an eye. Hahaha, sidenote one day one of our Elders was talking about how the weeks feel like days and the days feel like weeks and Frere Corbett said "and two years go by like a dream." Then the room got really quiet because no one was quite sure if he was being serious. This is probably not even funny, but it was just so poetic that nobody knew he had it in him.
I know I've told you all about my wonderful and goofy district. We've started a new tradition it's called "Four Square Friday!" And basically it's the best thing that's ever happend to us. Sometimes we ask our teachers if they think we're nuts, because honestly sometimes it feels that way. They always say, "No!" But I'm pretty sure they don't mean it. But anywho, you should all know I'm terrible at four square and basically the only reason I ever move up is because someone else gets out. Last week I told my district that it was okay because four square is a game of hope and you're not permanetly a loser:) Also it should be documented that while walking back to the MTC my companion Sister Waldron had an epic face plant. You may think that I'm being insensitive but she literally falls EVERYday! We have rules as far as what she can and can't do.
Dad, this week I was talking to Elder Leon, who is also heading to Montreal with me, and he was telling me that before he left on his mission he was talking to a brother in his ward who told him he had a mission companion who's daughter would be serving in the Montreal mission. Elder Leon forgot until he got to the MTC and saw my name on my desk. And then he forgot again. But yesterday we were studying and he looked up and said "Hermana! I have to tell you a story!" He told me that the Brother's name was Bill Arnold and that he was companion's with an Elder Perkins in the Buenos Aires, Argentina mission. I thought that was a pretty neat coincidence. Elder Leon is a really great missionary! He's been helping me a lot with my Spanish.
Speaking of Spanish....yesterday I started my spanish lessons with Frere Corbett. I'm not going to lie it was pretty terrible. I said everything in French. I felt really discouraged afterward. And I'm not going to lie I still do. I went the good portion of the day feeling less than adequate to the challenge. It's much more difficult than I ever thought it could be to switch between three languages. Last night we had coaching missionary study with Frere Starita, he asked me how I was doing and I poured out my soul to him telling him I was beyond frustrated because I can't speak Spanish, French and now even my English is suffering. Lucky for me, Frere Starita is one of the kindest souls I have ever met(he even started to tear up), in that moment he knew exactly what to say to help ease my worries. He pulled out his scriptures and read to me the story of Christ walking on the water. He said Peter wanted to badly to be like the Savior he tried to walk out to him just as the Savior was walking towards Peter. But Peter lost his focus and tried to do it on his own. Frere Starita reminded me that I'm not supposed to be doing this on my own. And I know that's true. I know that I'm not expected to speak these three languages with perfect clarity and grammar. After our Oprah moment I apologized for being such a baby and Frere Starita said "Oh it's fine. I have a fiancee." Haha, he is such a silly little guy.
Sorry if this email is a little scatterbrained I'm trying to sift through my French and I'm not sure everything even makes sense, but oh well c'est la vie. I miss you all, a lot. Remember that I love you, remember that the Savior is aware of you. And as my favorite hymn says "And we hear the desert singing, Carry on, Carry on, Carry on." Promise me you will. Because everytime we are faced with a trial that is just the Lord drawing us nearer to Him. Have a beautiful day! Eat some pumpkin treats for me!
Je vous aime!
Soeur Perkins
p.s. There is a beautiful French lullaby in the the French hymn book called "Souvienes-toi". If by some miracle you find a recording of it you should listen to it. I've already decided that I will be singing that song to my children someday.
p.p.s. I love you!:)

No comments: