Monday, November 28, 2011

Week 10: Oh Canada




(Note: There was no week 9 letter because that was her travel day to Canada and since she called home there was no time for e-mails.)

Hello!
How is everyone doing? First off, Happy Birthday to little Miss Gabrielle! I hope you got my card:) Also, I hope everyone had a really happy Thanksgiving. Mine was actually really good, more on that later.
So, first of all I'm serving in the Gatineau area of Ottowa French speaking which is about 3 hours away from Montreal. The first night we were here my trainer drove past the parliment building in Ottowa and I almost cried. It was insanely beautiful! I wish I had pictures to show you,but we have a car which doesn't allow for many photo ops. My trainer's name is Sister Pace, she is from Texas and she is a total nut case. In a good way. I really love her. She is a really good missionary and I hope one day I can be more like her. In language skillz and also in proselyting skillz:) We've already shared a lot of laughs and we're getting increasingly better at singing opera in the car to our appointments. Monica you should be so proud.
On Thanksgiving we had a service opportunity it was really incredible! Potentially one of the best Thanksgiving's of my life. We were able to serve in the Ottowa mission, which is a hospice/shelter for men in the Ottowa area. I'm not going to lie I was a little nervous about serving in a shelter for men, but they were all so kind. And not in a creepy way, but I knew they were genuinely greatful. We were able to help prepare and serve dinner. Everyone who came through was so grateful and I actually teared up a couple of times because I could feel the sincerity. I was so grateful for the entire experience.
Later that night we met a family from our ward. They reminded me so much of your old fashioned Italian family except for they were French. But they were great! They made us feel right at home and they kept asking over and over "You come to our house for Christmas?" They REALLY want us to come:) Let it be known that our entire ward is amazing! I really lucked out. The Relief Society president is from Brazil and she has already been so great at helping us out. The ward is thrilled to have us because they haven't had sisters in Gatineau in 10 years! It's kind of a lot of pressure, but I'm excited to see what will happen.
We have a lot of investigators in this area....and a lot of crazies. Last night Sister Pace and I had a lesson with this investigator the Elder's left named Jasky. He. Was. Crazy. He was from Haiti(most of our investigators are from Haiti). We walked in and he was super nice, his wife was nutty and pretended like we weren't there. Anywho we started talking about the BOM and the priesthood and that's when all hell broke loose. Literally. He started to tell us that we were being led by a false prophet yadda yadda yadda. After a while I just stopped listening and concentrated on not laughing, which was hard. But finally Sister P told him we had somewhere to be and we left. While we were leaving he said he hoped we could be freed from our evil prophet or something nutty and gave us back our BOM. Needless to say it was a success...oh wait. It wasn't. But in his prayer he prayed that I would be saved, but not Sister Pace. Hahaha, hooray!:)
We have a not crazy investigator, named Daphney. She is also from Haiti and she is married to a member. They are really great. We're just a little nervous she's getting baptized because of her husband and not because she actually wants to. They have a little baby named Jaden and I'm pretty sure I'm going to kidnap him. Jaden is like a little haitian cabbage patch baby. I love him so much.
The other night after our lesson with Daphney we were getting in our car and sister p saw this lady walking by at like 200km (I'm so french canadian) and she starts booking it after her. The lady was like "I'm late for work, but if you want to walk with me I would love to listen to your message. So we did. And I was trying so hard not to laugh, because we looked ridiculous. But she did give us her number and said she would like to know more. Well see:)
I miss you. A lot. But today and at least for the moment I know that I am where I'm supposed to be:) I have my moments, but for the most part I am doing really well. Thank you for your prayers. I need them. Don't worry I pray for you every day. I am so certain that the Lord answers our prayers. Read the talk from this last conference about the Power of Prayer. It's amazing! I know there is so much I could say, but I'll just leave it at that. Thank you for allowing me to have this once in a life time opportunity. I know it's the best thing for me. Sorry this email is weird and don't worry I'm going to get the hang of this communicating through emails and letters thing soon. Also, anyone who wrote me last week, I will be writing you this week! I love you! Can't wait to talk in 3 weeks!!!
Je vous aime!
Soeur Perkins
P.s. could you make sure J gets my emails when I send them, he said he hasn't been getting them. Thanks!
Pictures:
1849- My favorite Elders. Really. Love their guts. (Picture at the beginning)
1866- The district that does their laundry together stays together.
1870-Elder Corbett, Frere Corbett's little Brother, who is pretty much my best friend:)
1907- President Zimbleman my branch president who was incredible!
1913- I don't think we could get any better looking:) Love Elder Bequette and Adams!!!
1918- Sister Pace and I eating some Poutin it's a traditional Quebec meal:) It was so salty!!!












No comments: