Monday, November 21, 2011

Week 8: Last week at the MTC!

The night she was set apart with her cutie niece Sofia.

Bonjour!
Can you believe that this is my 8th week in the MTC??? I can't! It's gone by so quickly! First off, sorry to everyone who read my Debbie-Downer email last week. So not cool on my part. Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my Fia! I love you, Pookie! Keep an eye on your mailbox for a little birthday fun:)
Last thursday a very happy thing happened called we finally got our travel plans!!!! I will be flying out of the SLC airport on Tuesday November 22 at 7:30 a.m. Which means I have to be at the MTC travel office by 4 a.m. No big deal:) I literally jumped up and down when I got my travel plans. It was quite a happy day. Mom and Pop that means I will be calling you sometime before 7:30. I'm thinking around 6? I guess just be prepared to be surprised. To everyone else, I wish I could call each one of you to tell you that I love you and that you are the best, but I've been asked to only call my parents home. However, if you happen to be there at 6 am (eh-hem Monica) I would love to say "Bonjour!".
Also, I think some of you have not been getting my letters on time. Boo! I think there has been a letter monster going around the past couple of weeks. Hopefully, you have recieved your letters by now. If not know that whoever writes me usually will get a response the next week. So I really hope your letters aren't getting lost in the mail. Booo!
Last week, as you may recall, I was having the pity party of all pity parties. But don't worry about me, I'm over it. I talked to Frere Corbett and he said this "Hermana your Spanish is really good. I knew a sister when I was serving in Montreal and her Spanish was worse than yours when she got there. But now she has perfect Spanish. If you see her tell he I said "Hi", but don't tell her I told you her Spanish was bad." It was a really good reminder for me it made me think of Exodus 4 when Moses is talking to God about how he can't go gather the Israelites because he is slow of speech, and then God rebukes him and says, "Hey Moses! I promised you that I would help you! Now go gather the Israelites!" I know it will all be okay. Or as the French say "Tout ira bien."
In the MTC you prepare a talk each week, without knowing if you will really be called on to speak or not. It's kind of like the Price is Right. Well this week they called on me. I was really happy that I was so prepared because when I heard "Sister Perkins, come on down!" (dramatic rendering) my heart really started pounding. I actually felt pretty good about my talk. I know it wasn't perfect, but I know it was my best. One thing I wish I could've changed was this weird habit I have to say "N'est pas?"(Is that not right?) frequently when I speak in French. The branch presidency said it was endearing I think that's a nice way of saying "It was strangely adorable." Oh well, n'est pas?:)
This is the part where I share my irreverent moments....okay some of them. So every Saturday night we have workshops, this week our workshop teacher must've forgotten or something, because our workshop was to look up scriptures on random topics. He was walking around and he came to our group who was already slap happy and he said "So, God sent prophets to restore the gospel in every dispensation. Adam, Noses...." Guess who couldn't not keep it together. Guilty. I proceeded to laugh for the next 3-5 minutes. He just kind of ignored me and kept talking. I'm sorry, but he said "Noses".
This week I was studying in Alma 48-49 about the Moroni and the Lamanite invasions. I really love these chapters. I really love Moroni. Through this chapter the Lamanites continue to be "exceedingly astonished" because of the preparations that Moroni and his army took to fortify their city. And in verse 23 in 48 it says "And in their weakest fortifications he did place the greater number of men; and thus he did fortify and strengthen the land which was possessed by the Nephites.' I know that the Lord is sending angels to fortify His children in their weaknesses. I also know that through sincere prayer we can overcome so many of life's challenges. Even Spanish and French.
I hope you are all well and so happy. This is a gospel of JOY! Make sure you remember that "Adam fell that men might be, and men are that they might have joy!" This is a beautiful season of Thanksgiving and rejoicing because the Savior promised us he would come and he did. He promised us He would suffer our pains and afflictions and He did. J'aime mon Sauveur et Redempteaur, Jesus-Christ. Have a beautiful week! Smile! The next time you get an email from me I will be in Montreal!
Je vous aime!!!!
Soeur Sabrina Perkins

No comments: