Saturday, November 5, 2011

Week 6: This weekend had it's ups and downs....






November 1st, 2011


Bonjour ma famille et mes amies!

Comment ça va tout le monde? This has been, once again, a crazy week here in the MTC. I can't believe tomorrow it will be exactly six weeks since I entered the MTC! I feel like time is flying!

This weekend had it's ups and downs. Another one of the missionaries from our district went home to take care of some things. It was Sister Hinchcliff. I love that girl. oodles and oodles worth. Even though it was really sad to see her go we all felt at peace knowing that it was the Lord's will. Because Sister Hinchcliff left, her companion is now my third companion. Yes, a TRIpanionship! It's a little bit more difficult in some aspects to have two companions but really nice in others. Sister Waldron is a gem. She also went to BYU before the mission and basically she makes me laugh all day. Last night for example in our companionship prayer she blessed our petit-amies(boyfriends) instead of our amies de l'eglise(investigators). I'm sure you all know me well enough to know I laughed at that for a about five minutes.

So, like I said we're coming up on our sixth week mark, and boy is it showing. There comes a point in our day where our district gets really slap happy. Fere Corbett had to take us on a walk last week, because we could not control ourselves. We try, but I think being in the same place for six weeks has really started drivining us insane. I always ask Fere Corbett if he thinks we're crazy and he always says "no!" but I know he really means yes.

On Sunday we had the best surprise ever in Relief Society, Sister Elaine S. Dalton came and spoke. Sister Dalton has so much power! She is truly a servant of the Lord. This week I've been thinking about how uncomfortable I have been this whole MTC experience. I've had to speak in a language I really don't know, be more outgoing, teaching investigators without really having an understanding of what they're saying, there's just so many awkward things that happen that it is hard to even put it into words. But I realized that through all of these really uncomfortable experiences I have been able to grow so much. One of the first things Sister Dalton taught us was that this principle is true. If we want to become like God he will help us grow, and it will be uncomfortable. So, if you are going through a trial or feel like things are just not right remember that, that is our Heavenly Father helping you to become like Him.

Also, with being uncomfortable, I have never been so exhausted in my life. Really. Mentally, physically, spriritually. Really! But as tired as I feel I have never been quite so happy. This really is the Lord's work. And I'm beginning to understand why the Lord's servants are so happy they are in the work of saving souls, just as the Christ and just as the Father. It is a happy work! This last week I continued my study out of Alma and I was reading in Alma 17 about how the Lamanites bound Ammon and took him to king Lamoni. Lamoni asks Ammon why he is in their land and I love what Ammon says (even after being bound with cords) "Yea I desire to dwell among this people for a time; yea and perhaps until the day I die." After this experience Lamoni's heart is softened towards Ammon because he understands that Ammon has pure love for his people.This scripture is such a testimony to me that the people I teach will have to know that I love them really and truly, and once they understand that they will be able to accept the Gospel.

One of my favorite things that happened this week was, Sister Ellsworth and I were walking by the cafeteria where they have walls of pictures of missionaries from all around the world. There was a picture of two Elder's knocking on a door in Samoa and they were both wearing lava-lavas. Sister E. looked at me and said "Imagine if WE had to wear skirts everyday!?" I thought she was being sarcastic so I gave her one of those "what did you just says?" kind of looks. And then she said "No wait. Imagine if we were guys. Then imagine if we were skirts everyday." I'm still perplexed by this comment. My companions are really the greatest. We have our moments of utter chaos when we can't keep it together, but I'm so greatful for these two sisters.

Thank you everyone for your letters, packages, love, and support. Missions are hard, but they are so worth it. I know life can get really difficult but don't turn back, turn to the Savior because only He knows how to succor His people. You are His and He loves you eternally. This gospel is true. The principles are eternal. Don't forget that. Remember to be happy and find joy in the small moments because those are what gives us strength in life's trials.

You are always in my prayers.

Je t'aime toujours,

Soeur Perkins

P.s. I sent Israel a letter but it came back. I must have the wrong address:(

P.p.s. Mom I loved the skirt, but it's about three inches too short:( So I will send it home today.

p.p.p.s. I love you!



No comments: