Monday, December 5, 2011

Week 11: I'm Officially An Awkward Missionary!


Hello everyone!
This has been a really crazy P-day! We've been running around all day like chicken's with our heads cut off. But all is well. So if I don't have time to write letters please don't hate me:(
So last week my companion had to go on splits with some sisters that were having problems so I had to be Senior Comp! It was super scary because I had to drive...in Canada! I was not prepared for that. But we survived, so no worries:) Just so you don't worry mom there isn't snow yet so it wasn't even dangerous. Oh but we were driving in Ottowa....enough said:)
Last week we met one of our investigators who lives in Ottowa, we didn't actually have too much hope for the situation. When we got to their apartment the door opened and three small children began attacking my legs. The smallest one was like a little monkey. After we were able to pry the children off the parents sat down and we sang a very sad version of "I am a Child of God" then the parents shooed the children to the back room to play. We started the lesson a little nervous that it would end badly. George (the father) asked a few questions about the priesthood. After we were certain we lost him,he said "I'm going to pray and if God tells me to get baptized in your church my wife and two oldest children and I will all get baptized." We sat there a little stunned because George is a very faithful and sincere man. Please pray for the Abojdi family. We love them so very much!
We also met with another family last week. Sister Pace actually taught them when she was here in Ottowa a year ago. The family is from Barundi(sp?) and they are amazing. The mother swung the door open and gave us great big hugs and bisous bisous. Then this is where sister Perkins became a real missionary(my awkwardness level was at an all time high)...the father walks into the room and comes up to give me a big hug. So I give him a weird arm hug thing and he looks at me like I'm nuts. All of the while sister Pace is just laughing at me. So rude! I was mortified.
Our ward mission leader is a little crazy. His name is Frere Oula and he is from the Ivory Coast. I'm pretty sure every time he says my name he says it differently. Soeur Purk, Soeur Peking, Packing, Per, Purking. Also his watch has a picture of his face on the...face. It's really bizarre.
Mom and dad I sure love you. Really. Thank you for everything you have done to help me get to this point. I always tell our investigators (i wish you could meet all of them, even the crazy ones) how awesome my family is. This week I read the talk by Elder Hales from this last conference and he said "We may not know when or how the Lord's answers will be given, but in HIs time and His way, I testitfy, His answers will come...Let us not give up on the Lord. His blessings are eternal, not temporary." I testify that I know this to be true. The Lord will never let a prayer go unanswered. Remember you Lord, because He remembers you. Go to the Lord with all your worries and he will make your burdens light. I love you all so much!
Bisous Bisous!
Soeur Perkins
p.s. Dear J, Yes. The Canadian mail system is terrible! Be patient. You're the best!

1 comment:

Adalia Redd said...

Hello my beautiful cousin! So proud of you and the choices you have made to serve Heavenly Father :) Praying and thinking of you always. Stay safe!
Adalia