Wednesday, December 28, 2011





WEEK 14 December 26, 2011

So how is everyone doing since I talked to you all....yesterday?:) I'm doing really good...still. Sorry that yesterday was a little hectic. The life of a missionary:) I'm really glad that I got to talk to everyone. Here is something I forgot: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MONICA! Oh my goodness! I'm so happy that you were born. I'm also so happy that you are my sister. I love you, seester. Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MISS SHARAY!!! I can't believe how old you are now. My babies are getting so old:(

Christmas here in Ottawa/Gatineau was great! I really couldn't have asked for a better 1st mission Christmas. Really. Jaclyn and J I got your presents last night from my District Leader. You guys are amazing! J I can't believe you tied all 6 million of those knots by yourself! The Cd's were much needed, I'm pretty sure you read my mind on that one. Jaclyn you always send the best things, I'm wearing the socks as I type this:) Monica...I think the Canadian post sacrificed your package, JK. I'm sure it is either in Montreal or will be soon. After I talked to you last night we met some people from our district at Parliment and it started snowing again! Surprise! It was a lot of fun.

So as a missionary we have the pleasure of visiting less actives. In the Gatineau ward we have A LOT! There is one woman we visit about once a week named Josephe. Josephe was baptized about 6 months ago and just needs a little bit of help.....She came from Haiti with her two boys and is trying to go to school. Everytime we visit her we always start with a song. So, if you know me at all you would know I laugh at the most inconvenient times. Well...let's just say Haitians are not very good singers. Really. So we're singing "The First Noel" only it doesn't sound like it. No. It sounds like something much more painful. Josephe is singing "No-ELLLE NOEL! NOOOOEEEELLLE!" And this is the part where I'm trying to think of every sad thing that's ever happened to me in my whole life so I WON'T die of laughter. Oh Haitians. Also, another Haitian fact: they ALWAYS sound angry on the phone, but almost never are. I don't understand it. If I was going back to doTERRA I wouldn't be afraid to take any phone call now.

We have been teaching this lady from Iran named Nikki. Nikki is great. She doesn't actually speak French so we teach her in. Very. Slow. English. Very. Slooooow. We were worried when we first met her because she wouldn't tell us her religious beliefs. We were worried that she was Muslim, because teaching Muslims is a "no no" in the CMM. But she told us she doesn't like Muslims because they are too pushy. So who knows....Since her native language is Persian she has been reading the BOM and is crazy about it. She told us she hasn't read a book in Persian since she left Iran. She told us that she wants to get baptized because she trusts Jesus. She said "I don't know why, but I trusting this Jesus. I think he's a good man. Not like other men." Love Nikki. This is the part where I petition for prayers. My companion and I have set a goal for 2 baptisms before January 31. This is kind of a high goal, especially for Canada, but I honestly feel like it can be done. We have so many investigators like Nikki who are teetering on baptism. We need your prayers, not just for the goal, but for helping this mission become a baptizing and converting mission. If there is anything you could do for me it would be to pray for those two baptisms.

This week I was reading Enos and I was so touched by that brief little chapter. I love that he says " And my soul hungered, and I kneeled down before my Maker and I cried unto him mighty in prayer and supplication for mine own soul." I have felt this way a lot on my mission, both in the MTC and here in Canada. My soul has hungered for the comfort that only our Savior can give us. After hours of fervent prayer the Lord speaks peace to Enos and tells him that his sins are forgiven, and from that moment all Enos wants is to preach to the Lamanites to bring peace to them as well. This is the part where I committ you again to read the Book of Mormon and highlight every time the Savior or Heavenly Father is mentioned. If you accept this "engagement" (French) email me and tell me what day you plan to finish and then I will follow up with you. Why? Because I'm a missionary. And also because I promise this will change the way you feel about the Book of Mormon. Like brother Tad R. Callister said in General conference "this book is either from God or it's not." Challenge accepted? Email me:)

I'm so glad I got to hear your wonderful voices yesterday! I love you all like a Quebecquoi loves poutine:) Canadian humor:) So funny. Everyone be safe! Read your Scriptures! Say your prayers! Eat your veggies! Scatter Sunshine! Je vous aime!!!

Bisous Bisous!

Soeur Sabrina Perkins

p.s. No-eeeel! NOEL! NOellleeee! Oh my entire life:)

1968- Ignore the fact that I look hideous in this picture...This is me and Sista Sandoval in Montreal!!!

1969-The Baker's on Christmas Eve! I love these people. Brother Baker is a hoot!

1974- Isn't Parliment amazing! P.s. that is Elder Meza and Elder Leon (my dad and brother, tee hee)

1986- I know, I know, I'm very festive. Seester Pace and I...oh and snow.



No comments: