Monday, January 2, 2012

JANUARY 2, 2012





WEEK 15!
Did you party like it was 1999?

Bonjour!
How is everyone doing? How was your New Years? Did you party like it was 1999 and the 2000 ball was about to drop? Let me tell you this New Years was memorable...I'll get to that later. I spent some time on New Years Eve thinking about how many blessing I have been given. Really. 2011 was quite good to me. And if someone had told me a year ago that I would be in Canada today I would've have told them to jump in a lake. But I feel so blessed to be here.
Big news: We had a really epic New Years party in which we played Gadianton Robbers, which is the missionary version of Mafia. EPIC! And then our ZL's tried really hard to pawn off their Christmas reject candy on us. And then we got our transfer calls on New Years Eve...I'm getting transferred to a YSA ward in Ottawa. I wasn't super excited about it. In fact I threw myself a New Years pity party. I really x100 love my area in Gatineau. The people are incredible. I love my ward. I love my investigators. I love my companion. But after a lot of praying and reading I can now honestly say I'm excited for this new opportunity. YSA wards scare me though, but I have not been sent to Canada to fail. So there. Boom Roasted. It will be great. But as always your prayers are needed.
This is the part where I humor myself, because I'm so funny....So we work a lot with the less actives in Gatineau. We had a meeting...appointment...rendevous with a less active and we had to meet him at a Starbucks in Ottawa (classy I know) because he lives by himself and well we can't visit him at his house alone. So, we're waiting at this Starbucks and my comp goes to use the WC and so I'm waiting and the guy behind the counter asks if he can help me. Well I don't want to look like I'm just hanging out in Starbucks so I play it off like I just don't know what I want. I said, "I don't actually drink coffee, so you can imagine how difficult this is?" And so he tells me to get this spiced apple cider drink which was amazing...While his fellow coffee co-worker is making my drink he starts talking to me in French and asks me where I'm from yadda yadda. I told him I was a missionary for my church in the meantime I pull out my wallet and he says "No, no, no. This one is on me." This is a big fat no no in the CMM. You can't allow random strangers to buy things for you! So I insist, but he works there so I can't really force him to charge me. Then my companion comes out of the WC and I'm holding this pipping hot cup of apple cider and she gives me one of those "what did you buy?" kind of looks. I felt like a big goober. I'm not a bad missionary. I promise.
This week in my studies I thought a lot about the power of a testimony. How when we learn something for ourselves it gives us much more conviction. I also thought a lot about the will of our Father. I remember a very distinct moment on the plan ride here just six weeks ago. I remember thinking that this is the first time in a long time where I really had no say in what was happening in my life. But because I had submitted my will to my Heavenly Father I had found so much joy. I really love being a missionary. So this brings me to another point...I emailed last week asking who was going to take my BOM challenge. Dad. You are my one true friend. I'm just going to assume the rest of you forgot. So I'm going to invite you again:) Why? Because the BOM will be a strength to you in more ways than you can imagine. I love what Sister Thompson said in her conference talk "Our testimonies fortify us and strengthen us as we face challenges in our daily lives. It is our testimony, combined with our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and our knowledge of the plan of Salvation, which helps us through these times of trial and hardship." Don't be a fool! Take the challenge:)
I hope you all have a lovely week. I miss you and cannot say how much I love you all.
Bisous Bisous
Soeur Perkins
2028- Sister Perez and Sister Burock. I love these women! I have so many good things to say about both of them.
2024- Tandice and Tchoa. I showed them how to do their make-up for Tchoa's birthday:) They are so sweet!
2018- That's right Perkins, Canada! I'm kind of a big deal here.
2015- So what's not right about this picture? First of all the halo:) Secondly, that's a meter for their tithing for their congregation! from 2010!!! What's wrong with these people?

No comments: