Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday Jan. 9, 2012

MONDAY JANUARY 9, 2012

Hello!
How is everyone doing? I hate to admit it, but I'm doing really well. I really love my new area. I'm in inner city Ottawa. It's amazing! I feel a totally different energy in Ottawa than I did in Gatineau. It's a little scary at times, people are not super friendly, but it doesn't really bother me too much. I'm living with members again and this apartment is beautiful! Really.They've done a really good job making sure it's clean and free of mold:) Love it!
In this area we take the bus a lot too which is an interesting experience, I'm going to start writing a book called "People I meet on the bus". Let's see we've met: The crazy egyptian who thought my companion was his daughter kidnapped by Germans, Terry who knew a million facts about fire trucks, the Greek guy in a wheel chair that told me he ate 6 free hamburgers from Harvey's, and the list really could go on and on. Do you understand why it is necessary that I write this book? It would sell. I just know it. My Companion's name is Sister Webb, she's from California and we basically laugh all of the time....except for when I lose my voice. Don't worry Mom and Dad I'm taking care of myself, but for some reason I lose my voice here a lot. Let's see... Oh I went to my ward for the first time yesterday. Pretty exciting! The ward is funny and awkward...but that's what you get with YSA:) However, we have some incredible recent converts! I feel like there are a lot of stories just waiting to be told in this area....especially from the bus.
Last week before I left Gatineau we had an English class. It was EPIC! We had Oula and Tchoa. We played some games to teach them directions like: go left, straight ahead. We blindfolded Oula and had Tchoa tell him how to get to his chair through our nifty obstacle course. We are such gooooood teachers! My favorite experience of the night was trying to explain the difference between children and chicken. Oula said, "You can say kids or you can say chicken, right?" Wrong. Only on a farm. I had a really hard time not laughing.
On Saturday night we were contacting in this GINORMOUS apartment building. We were in the elevator with this really nice YSA guy. This is the part where we should have contacted him. Instead we were awkward and watched him get off on the same floor we were getting off on and then we said good bye. Well about 45 minutes later we knocked on his door. I'm pretty sure at this point he thought we were stalking him...which sometimes I feel like I'm a professional stalker...besides the point. So I pretend like I hadn't watched him walk into his apartment 45 minutes earlier. "Oh wow! You live here?" Less stunned man from the elevator, "Uh yep." So, then I give him our door approach and he says, "That's pretty cool. But I'm an Atheist." I'm not fooled by Atheists, that's just another way of saying I don't have time for religion. So I start asking him where he thinks we came from and why we're here. He said he had no idea. He wasn't interested, but let us say a prayer with him. I felt like he had a lot of potential, so I'm going to keep praying for him, and maybe one day I'll email you to tell you all he called us:) There's always potential for potentials.
My mission has really been the biggest blessing in my life up until this point. I feel like a new creature. There is a happiness and a groundedness(made that one up) that comes from this work. I can't really explain it. I feel like now more than ever, I really know who I am. Every hard or difficult thing I've encounted here has been followed up by incredible blessings. I really didn't want to leave Gatineau. There was some wailing and gnashing of teeth. But I knew it was God's will and I promised him I would be obedient, but I wasn't all that excited. I've been so blessed for that obedience. It reminds me of Mosiah 4:9 "Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all things which the Lord can comprehend." I promise that as you strive to keep the commandments that God has given you and honor the covenents you have made nothing with ever go permanetly wrong. The gospel of Jesus Christ is real. I've watched the light come into someone's eyes as we've taught the cleansing and healing power of the Atonement. We really have no reason to be sad or afraid. Tout ira bien.
Thank you for all of your love and support! It means everything. I am able to be the missionary I am because of you, because of your prayers, and because of your examples. Those of you that have accepted the challenge. I'll be checking up on you:) J you didn't say when you would finish? Also, mom when are the members from the branch planning on finishing? Let me know:) Have a beautiful week! A la prochaine! Je vous aime!
Bisous Bisous!
Soeur Perkins

I forgot to send you the poem!
Master where shall I work today?
My love flowed warm and free.
He pointed out a tiny spot
And said, tend that for me.
I answereed quickly, oh no, not there,
Not any one could see
No matter how well my work was done;
Not that little spot for me.
When He spoke He was not stern,
But He answered me tenderly,
Little one, search that heart of thine;
Are you working for them or for me?
Nazareth was just a little place.
And so was Galilee.
I love you daddy!

No comments: