Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Week 4: God our strength will be pressforward!

Bonjour ma famille et mes amies!
Commet ca va tout le monde? This has been a great/crazy/exciting/up&downs kind of week. I love the mission. Really. With my whole being. And I pray constantly (like every hour) that you are all doing well and that you all remember how much this little seester missionary loves you.
So, I decided for my posterity's sake I want to tell ya'll about my instructors here at the MTC. One of my instructors is named Fere (brother) Starita. He's a crazy kook! He got engaged last week so he's been really nuts lately, but we love the guy. He's really quirky, he does these crazy hand movements I'll have to show you when I get home. He also always falls alseep in class. It's the best (nacho voice). Also, he wanted us all to tell our families hello from him. So, "Hello!" from Fere Starita. Then we have Fere Corbett (who doubled as our investigator Stephan). Fere Corbett actually just got home from the Montreal mission! He was also called Spanish but served in French and English as well. I'm glad he told me that he served in all three because I was kind of banking on just speaking Spanish, so I've stepped up my game with the French. Frere Corbett plays for BYU soccer (Giles Family:). He told me yesterday that he talked with Sister Cannnon, President Cannon's wife, and she told him that they are so excited for Elder Leon and I to get there in a few weeks. It made me really happy:)
Last Tuesday Sister Julie B. Beck spoke at devotional. She is an incredible person! But she talked about how even though the church may seem small in some of the areas we serve in to remember the prophesy of the stone being cut out of the mountain without hands. In our district devotional discussion a member of our branch presidency Brother Harward was presiding and he told us that he too served in Montreal and that when he was there the members were scarce. I was filled with so much gratitude for the work Brother Harward and other missionaries before and after him have done in my mission, so that I can now serve there with 4 stakes and a temple instead of none.
Like I said I've been really trying to step up the French. I have a definate love hate relationship with French. It's different in a lot of ways than Spanish, but also tres similar. One thing is, in Spanish you speak with the front of your mouth, but in French you speak with your throat. Another thing is Spanish is very intentional you say every word distinctly, but French kind of all flows into one long word. It's getting better though. I realized that there is no need to fear in speaking, even though I'm pretty sure my French at this point sounds like a caveman. "You read Book of Mormon. You be happy. Jesus be happy. You read. Pray. Okay?" Frere Corbett told me he wasn't fluent until he had been out for over a year. And then he saw a look of horror on my face and he said "oh I guess I shouldn't have said that!" So this is the part where I petition for your prayers. S'il vout plais. Please pray pour moi:)
On Sunday one of our MTC district Presidents and his wife spoke at the fireside. His name was either James or Jimmy Hacking. He's from Blanding, Ut. Dad, I never thought I would be so excited to hear the name Blanding. But my heart was so full of joy when he metioned that little speck on the map. His talk was about families and heritage and it made me so proud of my own. He actually mentioned the Hole in the Rock expedition. I guess the thing that stood out to me the most that night was that I can't really love where I'm going if I don't love where I have come from. I felt so much gratitude for those lil' guys who came from Wales and for my own mama who came from the big metropolis of Buenos Aires to little Blanding, Utah.
I'm going to try to share something I learned from the BOM every week. This week I decided to tackle the book of Alma. I've read Alma before but I feel like I've never really put my whole heart into understanding it. This week I was studying Alma 9 and I came upon verse 6 where the people of Ammonihah say " Who is God that sendeth no more authority than one man among his people to declare unto them the truth of such great and marvelous things?" Here in the MTC they stress the importance of sending the Lords servants out "two by two", because their testimonies support each other. I really do believe that the missionary program is divine. But this scripture also made me think about the BOM and the Bible. Of course the Lord would send a second witness to bear testimony of the first and vice versa. The Lord is the same yesterday, today and forever.
My family and friends, I am so blessed to be here. Really and truly. I love this gospel. I love my Savior. I know he love me even with all of my imperfections and flaws. I know that Jesus is the Christ. I know that God is our Eternal Father. I love you dearly. Don't forget that.
je t'aime toujour,
Soeur Perkins
p.s. If you sent me an email will you please Dearelder it? I didn't have time to read emails today:(
p.p.s. "So much depends on so little." -Elder Holland

No comments: