Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Nutella Pancakes


Tonight I made Nutella Pancakes for dinner.
During the process of pouring, mixing, and flipping my mind wandered to last semester.
For me last semester meant change.
I moved out of my parents house.
I left the beautiful warmth of Southern Utah.
I started going to a new school.
I switched majors.
I grew my bangs out. a smallish sort of change. but change nevertheless.
Change was an everyday occurrence.

My biggest attempt at change was dating someone I mostly liked, but never could've loved, in hopes of forgetting a certain someone.
I found out that the heart is a very stubborn sort of organ.
Not keen on change.
My heart kindly told my brain, "No thank you. Not him."
And my brain said, "Please? I need change."
And then my heart and my head stopped speaking for a while.

Guess what? you- what?
Ultimately my heart won the battle.
I had to tell the boy "later gator" and as you can imagine he wasn't happy.
Because even though I wanted to change my heart I couldn't.
Not even for him.
Not even for me.

While I was washing the dishes tonight I decided that the theme for this semester is going to be patience.
Patience with:
myself.
my family.
change.
my heart.
time.
things I can't control.

And that's why this scripture (Alma 7:23) is my mantra for the semester.

"And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive."

Patience, darlings.
xo


3 comments:

Chantel said...

haha i know the feeling of your brain and your heart disagreeing. that is a very good theme for this semester!

p.s. those nutella pancakes look amazing!!

sydney gillman said...

i want to eat those right this minute.

jessica renae said...

i love this post and its personalness. :) and i can tell YOU, darling, that i know how you feel! patience is a very, very hard thing to get a grip on, so let's fish for it together!