Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Allegory of the Perfume

A couple of days ago I was shocked to realize my favorite perfume is very nearly empty.
Generally, for a girl, the realization that they need to buy something as elaborate as perfume is exciting.
For me it's terrifying.
Especially, because I never buy the same perfume twice.
I'm always afraid I'm going to get stuck with a $60 bottle of mothball eau de toilette.
I don't trust my own judgement when it comes to perfume buying.
I would dare say I have commitment issues.
The past two bottles I have had, I've received as gifts, no thought on my part.
I loved both to the point of their extinction.

I told my mom about the last precious drops of my favorite perfume the last time we were in a mall, so she shuffled me to a perfume counter.
I sniffed perfumes that were fruity, floraly not a real word, musky, fresh, etc.
But nothing smelled right.
It was somewhere between the Vera Wang Princess and Lola by Marc Jacobs that I realized my feelings about buying perfume aren't too different from my feelings about dating.
Nothing ever smells/feels right because I don't trust my own judgement.

I thought about this through the spritzing of Coco by Chanel and then I saw it.
I knew just from the bottle that it was my perfume.
I spritzed a little on my wrist and it was love at first smell.
Amber and fruit nearly knocked me to the floor.

Now all I need is to find a man who will sweep me off my feet and I'll be set.

xo


5 comments:

spenceandcass said...

You are darling. I love reading your blog. You have quite the talent with words :)

Mary Dawn said...

Haha, I love this, Sabs :)

Chantel said...

hahaha, that is so true! i am the same way with perfume! you can never go wrong with the scent of amber though; that's one of my favorites! :)

Chantel said...

so i think the ads on your margin must tag your posts and bring up relevant ads because right now they are all about perfume. one of them says, "that pee stink is gone." hahaha! i laughed out loud.

LUKE AND MONICA said...

I love you so much! I don't know how you are so good with words because I don't have a creative bone in my body. You are so amazing! And trust me there are a line of guys just waiting to sweep you off your feet. You just have to step by and allow them to do so and when the right one comes along you will know without a doubt!