Monday, December 3, 2012

 We loved Daniel's mustache so much we wanted to have our own

Saying bye to our cute Davis family



Hello my dear Family and Friendlies!

How are you? Life is treating me quite well:) We had our transfer calls this Saturday and much to my surprise (and my hearts desire) I found out that I am going to Quebec City! A total dream come true. I remember listening to Sister Pace and Sister Chadburn talk about all of their beautiful adventures in the polar ice caps of Quebec City  and now I get to go. I feel like this is another one of those tender mercy moments. I'm also really excited to get off of the island. I've started developing a severe case of island fever, but another adventure is just about to begin. I'm so excited! Too much, you could say. Transfer night Lopez and I couldn't even sleep. I'm also going to be in a trio with Sister Limburg and Sister Grossenbach. It's going to be a blast...minus the fact that Quebec City is significantly colder than Ottawa or Montreal, but hey, that is just a small sacrifice:)

So this week we had a Christmas party for our ward and they sang a very thrilling version of "Silent Night" in French. It went something like "Silent night (whisper), HOLY NIGHT!!!!!! (YELLING!)". Sister Lopez and I did our very best not to laugh, but then a sister sitting next to me starting laughing and you know me, when someone starts laughing I start laughing. I felt really bad, but there was not much I could do. They also sang "Glory Glory Hallelujah" and made everyone dance and sing. I felt like I was in one of those Evangelical churches. My life will never be the same again. 

This week we did a lot of knock, knock, knocking. Last Tuesday we were knocking and this muslim guy let us into his building. He wasn't interested, so we asked him if he knew anyone else who would be and he said with a sly grin on his face "Sure. Try the guy in number 5. He's a Christian." Since we're cute little naive sister missionaries we went and knocked on this guys door. So this tall old as dirt Qubecois man comes out and says ,"Bonsoirrrrrr!" And we're like "Whoa! He probably knew Jesus!" He was pretty crazy. So, we introduce ourselves and he starts telling us that Jesus is actually the father of God and that Mary was Jesus's wife. So, I try to explain that he's a little confused and he says, "No! Where are you from the Philippines?" It was like talking to a pinball machine. "No, I'm from Utah, in the United States." And then he says quite matter-of-factly "No. Utah is a country and where is the United States?" So I try to say with a very straight face, "Right below Canada." He was pretty convinced that Utah was a different country and that I was a big liar. It was a really weird contact. Other than this crazy old man we ran into a lot of creepy old men. Personally I would rather talk to crazy old men. 

It's always kind of nostalgic when you leave an area. It makes you think about what you've accomplished and who you've helped. Sometimes I feel like I haven't done much. But then there are always those one or two people who come and tell you the impact you made on them and how much they appreciated your service. I guess it's those little moments that are the most gratifying. I've also been studying the conference Ensign this week, which if you haven't read it, is gold. Read it! En tout cas, I read the talk by Elder Ballard about bees and how throughout a bees life, which is only a few weeks it only makes enough honey to contribute 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey. That's nothing! But then he talks about how that 1/12 makes an impact when all of those 1/12 are compacted. Elder Ballard then compares our small acts of service to the honey produced by honey bees, he said, "These simple, daily acts of service may not seem like much in and of themselves, but when considered collectively they become just like the one-twelfth teaspoon of honey contributed by a single bee to the hive. There is power in our love for God and for His children, and when that love is tangibly manifest in millions of acts of Christian kindness, it will sweeten and nourish the world with the life-sustaining nectar of faith, hope, and charity." I guess missionary work is exactly that, we just do a few small acts of service which eventually end up manifesting the love our Father in Heaven has for us and those we serve. 

Thanks you for your love and support! Thank you for your acts of love and service for me! Thanks for your patience! Please don't forget how much you are loved. Don't forget to have fun and enjoy this Christmas season. We have so much to be thankful for. Have a beautiful week!

Bisous Bisous

Sister Perkins


No comments: