Monday, December 10, 2012

                                                 The magic of Christmas Pantoufles:)
Sister Limburg, Sister Grossenbach, Sister Perkins


Hello! 
I am currently writing you a really great email from the Mac store in the blizzarding city of Québec. Literally. We have had like 15cm in two days. Yay! It is insane. The Lord really does have a grand sense of humor. 

So this week we had the best and most entertaining experiences. I decided that Québec is the eternal city of miracle love. It is great! 



Let me start off by explaining the best Christmas party of all time. Someone in charge of decorations put us in charge of stapling wrapping paper to the walls and decorating a Christmas tree. It was pretty magical and our tree turned out looking like a tree that would go in the white house. Red, white and blue. I thought we should put Old Glory at the top but the idea was not so popular....booo! Then came the actual party which ended up being quite the spectac. There was a former investigator who showed up....former for a reason he is in love with my companion Sister Grossenbach. He sang a song for her during the talent show portion of the dinner. Can you say...Awkward! I, of course, was laughing hysterically, because I just felt like I was in one of those weird mormon films. Then we spent the remainder of the night trying to avoid him, but failing when he found us after the acceptance speech  where he won a box of chocolates. Which he promptly try to give to her. It was really insanely awkward. The best part of the party for me personally was the fact that everyone in the ward kept complimenting me. I love this place!!!!! These people love me;)

I actually had a mission dream come true. Last night we drove up to a little place called St. Leonard with a family from our ward to visit another this cute little old couple named the Therriens. Sister Therrien made us a lovely, very Quebecoise meal complete with meat pie and all. And then my dream came true. She gave us Christmas pantoufles, which are these adorable Quebecoise slippers that people have here for you to put on when you get to their homes. I was so excited I jumped up and down and gave her about a million hugs. She was so enthused she gave me lovely white pantoufles for the temple too! Such a dream. Not to mention St. Leonard looks like it fell out of one of those old Christmas films. Or maybe even Stars Hallow from Gilmore Girls. Oh it was so stinking cute!!!

Our first night together here as a trio we had a knocking miracle. We were exhausted from transfers and ready to collapse, but we needed to go knocking. So, we took a big deep breath and went knocking. We knocked a full floor where everyone just shut their doors. Welcome to Québec! But we kept going. Eventually we knocked on the door of this very kind Qubecois man. We asked if we could share our message and at first he was a little hesitant his wife even said no. But then for no reason at all he said << Come in!>> We never wait for someone to ask twice. So in we went. We promised to stay 15 minutes but ended up talking for much longer about family and God and the importance of staying grounded. It was a pretty incredible lesson. They were so happy to know there were people who saw family the way they did and asked us to come back. It was such a beautiful miracle! I feel like that is what Québec is...one big beautiful miracle. I love it here!

This morning I was reading in Helaman 5 this is where Nephi and Lehi are encircled by fire and the Lamanites start experiencing some pretty unpleasant things and they ask the prophet Aminadab what they should do, 
 And it came to pass that the Lamanites said unto him: What shall we do, that this cloud of darkness may be removed from overshadowing us?
And Aminadab said unto them: You must repent, and cry unto the voice, even until ye shall have faith in Christ, who was taught unto you by Alma, and Amulek, and Zeezrom; and when ye shall do this, the cloud of darkness shall be removed from overshadowing you.
I know we have all felt at one time or another there is a dark cloud following us and there just is not much we can do. But the Lord has given us repentance, faith and prophets to guide us out of our darkness and back to the light of the Savior. I know with all of my heart that it is only the Atonement of Jesus Christ that can remove those dark clouds from our lives, nothing else will bring sunshine to our souls. 
I hope you all have a beautiful week during which is the most beautiful time of the year! Stay cozy and never forget you are so loved.

Bisous bisous!
Sister Perkins

No comments: