Monday, May 7, 2012


Hello everybody!!!
First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my DADDY! I can't believe you're turnng 35....again!!!:)  I wish you the happiest birthday and hope you get to eat Benja's and yummy cake with the family. I love you, dad!
 
We had transfers this week and I am staying here!!! this will be my 4th in Dows Lake...I must be doing something right?
This week was really, really, really good! We double our goals!!! It was amazing and I feel like the lord is really blessing us with new investigators and even better the confidence to do this work. It has been a great week and I feel we're finally making the progress we've been praying for. This week we did a TON of knocking! So much so that by Saturday my language skills were pretty much diminished. On Saturday we knocked on a door and a grumpy looking guy answered. I started, "Hi we're missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of United States. We're from Latter-day Saints. uhh." It was really sad. And then of course you know me I just died of laughter right there on his doorstep. He thought I was pretty funny but he wasn't interested:(
 
This week we had to go pay a ticket on Friday that my companion got for turning left....yeah so in Canada they have signs on randoms streets where you can't turn left between the hours of 8-5:30. They aren't even busy streets literally just random ones. Anyway so we wen to the provincial courthouse to see if they could at least lower the fine. So while my comp was standing in line I was reading my scriptures in the waiting area. I was just minding my own business when this man and his father walk in they were going off wildly in some crazy language and I tried really hard not to stare. Well the older one came towards me and put a paper on the chair next to me and sat down at the end of the row.....well...you know me. I tried to casually look at the note without actually looking at the note and it was written in Hebrew so I had no idea what it said. So of course my instant thought is that this is a bomb threat. Yes. You can roll your eyes now, but I start panicking inside. So then I did what any self-respecting missionary would do....I followed my companion to meet the judge. Well they are in the same area and the guy hands Sister C the same note. His son said "Oh I am so sorry! He gives those letter to people he likes." Then he told us that if we mailed money to the address on the note we could get free cotton products....Uh random. So no it wasn't a bomb threat and yes I did feel stupid afterwards:)
 
Yesterday was a really great day! We had three investigators at church including our little rockstar, Chris!!! As you are aware it was fast and testimony meeting and at the very end he stood up and bore a powerful testimony about how the gospel has helped him through this difficult time. It was incredible and my heart was brimming with happiness. It was too perfect. Also, it was Jeffrey's birthday which made the day even better! (so we made him brownies,that's for you who were wondering about the picture he posted on FB:).
 
This week I was studying in the Book of Helaman and while I was reading the story about Samuel the Lamanite verse 3-5 really stood out to me:But behold, the avoice of the Lord came unto him, that he should return again, and prophesy unto the people whatsoever things should come into his bheart.
And it came to pass that they would not suffer that he should enter into the city; therefore he went and got upon the awall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, andbprophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart.
And he said unto them: Behold, I, Samuel, a Lamanite, do speak the words of the Lord which he doth put into my heart; and behold he hath put it into my heart to say unto this people that the aswordof justice hangeth over this people; and four hundred years pass not away save the sword of justice falleth upon this people.
What really stood out to me was that through the spirit Samuel preached to them from his heart. It really hit me that missionary work really isn't about tell people what you know it's about telling people about how you feel because of what you know. Everything we do in the church should be done with our heart. If we only use our heads than there really isn't a point. I hope that makes sense...it did in my head....heart:)
I hope everyone has an amazing week! I love you all!
Love,
Sister Perkins

No comments: