Monday, April 30, 2012






Hello! Hello!
Can you believe that tomorrow it will be May 1st!!!!? I can't believe it at all, in fact it's making me a little sad. It's really going by fast. Things have been picking up here in Dows Lake which makes me a happy camper. That and we finally got our sunshine back!!! Finally! Oh my goodness does Canada know cloudy dreary weather. But Hallelujah for the sun and slightly blue skies today:)
 
This week we did a lot of contacting and even more knocking. Last night nearly ever person we knocked into was not wearing real clothes it was ridiculous. We knocked into so many people in their bathrobes or pajamas and even the occasional person who had questionable modesty standards. It was pretty bizarre. On Saturday Sister C and I went on member splits for the full day. There are two girls in our ward who have been considering putting in their papers so we did a full day of missionary work with them to help them understand a little bit about what we do on a normal day. Both girls did really well and seemed to really enjoy it. During our companionship studies I told my little companion "Okay so we're going to be doing knocking and bus contacting." "Are we allowed to do that?" "Not technically...you have to be uh sneaky." She looked mortified when I told her that, but it was fine:) In fact she was a champ! It was so fun to work with someone who has that greenie fire. It actually really helped me remember how much fun missions are and how blessed I am to be serving a mission.
 
On Friday Sister C made me this black bean soup, she's been talking about it for a while and said, "You're going to think it looks disgusting, but I promise it's good." Well, she started throwing things in our blender and it didn't super appetizing. We also grilled up some tortillas and cut up an avocado. Sidenote: For New Year's Elder's Leon and Meza gave me a calender of Orphans from Peru, because they know I love all the orphans in the whole world. So, we're sitting there eating our blended black bean soup and tortillas and I'm looking at the Orphans so I say to Sister C "Why can't we ever just have like a salad or something?" I really did feel like an orphan from Nacho Libre eating my bean stew and tortilla. It was awesome. I don't even know if that will be funny or just weird:) Maybe you had to be there.
 
The best news of this whole week was that we were able to see Chris!!!! I don't know if any of you remember him or why seeing him merits four exclamation points. Chris was someone I found with my companion in January and he was AMAZING! Then in February his parents passed away in a car accident. Ever since then he's been really hard to get into contact with (as you can imagine, right?). This week we texted him and said, "So what day are we going to see you this week?" And he actually set up an appointment. Well, we were running a little late to the appointment so I called to tell him we would be a few minutes late and he said he totally forgot we were coming and left his house to go to the grocery store, but he told us to wait because he would be back soon. So we waited and waited and about 50 minutes after our appointment was supposed to start he got home. He apologized profusely and then told us that he has been forgetting EVERYTHING lately. He said he actually has a friend who comes and helps him cook because he forgets to eat, and turn off the oven, etc. I think because the whole thing with his parents has been so traumatic, it's like he has zero short term memory. He couldn't really even remember anything we taught him before except for the Celestial Kingdom. So, we started from ground zero with him. He told us that he has been working around 60 hour weeks since his parents passed away so he took his BOM to work. He said his co-workers would always ask, "what is that?" and he told them it was his "bible". Well one day he said he came back to his desk and his book mark had been moved and his co-worker told him, "I'm so sorry! I was reading your Bible and I couldn't remember where your bookmark was." He told us that since then another person has started reading it too! So now he has 3 bookmarks in his work copy of the BOM. How cool is that?We also set up a return appointment already and he told us to call him like two hours before to remind him. Please pray for him.
 
Yesterday in church someone was giving a talk on the temple and she used Alma 34:32 " For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors." It really hit me that this scripture isn't talking about going to school or landing our dream job or cleaning our house every saturday (mom and dad...kidding!) But it's about making sure that we are doing the work required of each of us to enter back into the presence of our Father in Heaven. Their labors means temple ordinances. I literally dream about  the day when I can enter into the Lord's house again and do that work for those who have passed on. This is the time for us to prepare to meet our God and we can only do so by going to the Temple often enough that can understand who we are. .I hope that you are making temple attendance a priority. I have a strong testimony that the temple can help us overcome anything. We can't expect the help of our Father without first going to His house. Yesterday we taught Jeffrey about the Temple and I showed him my recommend and he said, "I want that recommend! What do I have to do to get that one?" I hope you view your temple recommend as something that you would do anything for and even better I hope you're using it. I testify that if you make temple attendance a priority no challenge will be to great, because in the eternal scheme of things tout ira bien:)
 
Thank you so much for your love and support. Your letters and your packages! Your examples and advice. I love you all and I can't believe how time is slipping away! I hope you have a great week and a happy May 1st!
 
Bisous Bisous!
Sister Perkins
 
Image 2375: Sista Perkins and Sista Jenn:)
Image 2374: Sista Chadburn and Sista Morgan
Image 2367: Orphans Meal
2358: Last week for P-day we went to the Canadian Museum of Civilization. We had a ton of fun...in the Childrens museum:)
2313: Elder Meza wearing and Aboriginal luchador mask
2327: Sista C and I modeling with our scary Aboriginal friend. I was so scared one of these guys was going to come to life and grab me

No comments: