Monday, May 28, 2012

Hello!
I can't believe it's Monday again! I feel like the fast forward button has been on the past few months. Time is going by much too quickly! It sounds like everyone is doing well:) It makes my heart so happy! We are also happily trucking along here in the CMM. This week was beautiful and eventful and equally disappointing and trying. 

We had a really really really hard time getting our investigators to keep appointments, follow through with commitments, etc. Something to do with the nice weather I think. I felt like we were being sufficiently humbled after an incredible four weeks of back to back appointments. But the Lord in His wisdom knows best and I will continue to strive to be humble enough to accept His will. 

On Tuesday after getting smurfed( i.e. our investigators didn't show up for their appts) 3 times in a row, my comp and I were walking through the park and there was this cool hippie guy sitting on a park bench. We watched him and realized that he was feeding squirrels on his lap!!! Squirrels don't normally sit on your lap so we thought this was pretty epic. We sauntered over and started up a conversation with him about his ability to feed squirrels, at which point he said, "it's easy. Sit down." So we sat down and he said, "Put your leg out." My immediate reaction was to think "Excuse me hippie man!". But he looked serious so I did. He handed me an almond and said, "Show the squirrel." So I did and he was right this little squirrel came scampering up my leg sat on my lap and ate the almond. This went on for about 30 minutes and I just wanted to squish these little guys they were so cute. And then I felt like a Disney princess and then I felt like a weirdo because I realized people were walking by and pointing. I was super happy because one time Elder Meza told a story about how he got to shake a squirrels hand, now I can tell a squirrel story too:) Long story short, that is how our worst day turned into the best day ever;)

This week my comp and I were invited to attend Zone Leader Council in Montreal. I felt so cool;) Until we got to Montreal. Then I felt like a greenie all over again. I used to think Ottawa was big, but in comparison to Montreal, Ottawa is a little postage stamp. Side note: I pretty much can navigate around Ottawa in my sleep now, which is crazy because before my mission I didn't have a clue where north was. Now I'm like a regular Magellan. Anyway, ZLC was really cool! I felt like it was a good experience for me to have because it really put into perspective a lot of the why behind the administrative stuff we have in the mission. It also was a cool experience to spend time with the Cannons, who I adore. President and Sister Cannon as usual had really awesome advice and fed us well:)

Last night we had a really cool lesson with Leah, the little chica we met on the bus last week. She was absolutely floored by the Book of Mormon and I could see so much happiness in her eyes when we gave her a copy of her own. As we explained the experience of the first vision she let out multiple gasps as if everything we were telling her was so wildly incredible. Before we left she told us that she wants us to teach her whole family! We were so happy and quickly jumped on the opportunity. It was such a blessing to be given an amazing investigator like Leah after the crazy week we had. It was a tender mercy of the Lord that reminded me that he is there. 


This week I was studying in Mormon 9. It's a chapter about miracles and the Christ and is probably one of my favorites in the BOM. I really love verses 9-11 which read: 
For do we not read that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and in him there is no variableness neither shadow of changing?
10 And now, if ye have imagined up unto yourselves a god who doth vary, and in whom there is shadow of changing, then have ye imagined up unto yourselves a god who is not a God of miracles.
 11 But behold, I will show unto you a God of  miracles, even the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; and it is that same God who created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are.
We live in a world of miracles. The very fact that we are here upon the Earth is a miracle. Each day all day we are surrounded by all of the Lord's miracles. That's one thing a lot of people we teach struggle with. They don't understand how much their Father in Heaven loves them because everything he has done and continues to do for them becomes something of entitlement and less of the miracle it truly is. In John 9 there is a incident when Jesus heals a blind man on the Sabbath which causes an uproar amongst His accusers. They tell the man that it's not possible because Jesus sinned by healing him on the Sabbath at which point the man says "Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see." I can't explain the miracles that I've seen, but I do know they happened and I do know that they came to pass by the power of the Savior. I know that our God is a God of miracles and that each day he sends us miracles to show us how much he cares. my challenge to you this week is to look for the miracles the Lord has blessed you with:)
I hope your week is happy! That you feed a squirrel an Almond. That you get to feel the rays of the sun. That you eat a snow cone. That you smell lilacs(they are in abundance here). That no matter what life hands you, you can like the brother of Jared, praise the Lord in your afflictions, because he loves you and he does care. 

I love you!
Sister Perkins

P.s. I wanted to send pictures, but alas we are not able to send pictures form the family history center:( I'll try to make it to a library next week:)

No comments: