Monday, May 14, 2012

Hello everyone! 
I'm not going to lie I don't have much to say today. Maybe it's because I talked all of the words right out of my system yesterday:) This week was also good! We are doing really well here and are so excited for the coming weeks!!! Tomorrow we have Zone Conference and next week Sister Chadburn and I get to go to Montreal for Zone Leader Council. We're the new zone leaders:) Kidding! We were just invited to go:) AND our recent convert Jeffrey is going to be baptizing a man named Steve this weekend!!!

Sister C and I found Steve while knocking and we passed him off to the Riverside elders (i.e. Elder Meza (my best friend) and Elder Shaver (my other best friend). We passed him off at church and in Gospel principles Steve raised his hand and said "My only question is when can I get baptized?" Ask and ye shall receive, right? The Riverside Elders eyes were as big as saucers. It. Was. Epic. And then Steve met Jeffrey at the bus stop and thought he was the cats pajamas, so now Jeffrey get's to baptize him. In Jeffrey's words "It's super sweet!"

I don't know if I mentioned this...but each week we do service at the Ottawa Mission. We get to prep and prepare food for the shelter. It's one of the highlights of our week. It always makes us feel so grateful for what we have. This week I was feel a little grumpy and possibly a littler irritated with some Elders. There is an older man who lives at the Mission, he always has the same outfit on and is obviously very ill, but he walked in with the biggest grin on his face. "HELLO everybody!!!! Hello girls! No sugar for you, because you are already too sweet." (He says this every week and it always makes me laugh). But this last week he looked at me and said "LIFE is BEAUTIFUL!" I felt so grateful for this little guy and his example. Clearly I have been blessed with more than this man and he is telling me (indirectly) to enjoy my blessings. It was such a tender mercy from the Lord. 

This week I was studying in 3 Nephi 13 and I really loved the end of verse 25 which says, "Therefore I say unto you, take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink: nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?" I LOVE  this question. We are more than just a body and raiment we are literal spirit children of the most powerful being in the universe. There is so much more to our lives than the material things we seem to get so easily caught up in. I have been realizing more and more that after we leave this life we only get to take our covenants and our testimony. So it only seems fitting that we put our time and energy to developing these aspects of our lives. 

I hope you all have a great week! Remember read your scriptures and say your prayers:) I love you!

Love,
Sister Perkins

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sisters, it's Steve, thanks for all your kind words. My baptismal interview is tomorrow. I fasted today. I even got some exercise. And of course I read several chapters in 1 Nephi. Look forward to seeing you on Sunday. You may not believe this, but my favourite animals are actually canaries. I love how they sing all the time. My mom has one at home. Peace!