Monday, February 27, 2012

Dreaming of Spring!!

Hello everyone!
How goes it? It sounds like everyone is on a roller coaster of good and not so great things. We're on a weather roller coaster here in the CMM. Last week the weather was really beautiful it was +7. The sun was shining we were all happy and ready to play and then WA-BAM! We got sideswiped with a snow storm. It was a blizzard. Sister Chadburn and I were driving home from an appointment about 10km from our house and it literally took us 1 1/2 hours to get home because everyone had to drive so slow. We probably got about half a foot. Boo! No more snow. I have this theory that if everyone in the city went out at the exact same time with hair dryers we could get rid of it pretty quick. No one wants to join me though:(

So this week we had a lesson with this guy named Glen.....Let's just say I should've know better. We met Glen at Carleton University on Saturday. The second we sat down he started talking to our member about EVERYTHING under the sun. The boy jumped topics like a monkey through trees. We couldn't figure out how his brain worked. In the midst of this intellectual conversation about the Greek Isles and party boats a man from a local news station walked up. "Hi. Do you know where the magic show is?" "Glen perked up like a prarie dog. "Magic show? Girls! let's go to the magic show." I looked at my companion like 'you got this one amiga'. And she looked at me the same way. So we try to tell Glen we wanted to meet with him to share a message about God. He said, "Okay. We'll go to the magic show and do that whole God thing after." I wanted to argue but he was already following the guy down the hall. So off we went. Well, we get to the door of the theater and the guy at the door says, "Sorry the magic show is about to end." Seeing the look of disappointment on Glen's face he quickly added, "but you can make slime in the activity lab!" I could've punched this guy. Really? REALLY? Yes. so off we were to make slime. Well, lucky for us we did finally get a lesson in and even an invitation to go dancing and a near hug. Don't worry. Glen goes in for the hug while Sister Perkins goes in for the handshake. "Really I don't do handshakes." Sister Perkins with the stiff arm, "Really I don't do hugs." It was amazing.

I'm not going to lie my little ones. This week has been heavy. We have a lot of investigators going through a lot of really difficult things. We've been teaching this incredible guy named Chris. He kind of fell of the face of the planet for about four days and I was kind of mad at him. Then he finally called back on Tuesday and told us that both of his parents had died in a car accident. My heart broke as I listened to this "tough guy" break down over the phone. We have another investigator who is going through some really grim health issues. And a recent convert with her second round of cancer. The list could really go on.My heart has been broken a lot this week. I remember that when I went in for my interview with President Henderson he told me that a mission would prepare me to be a mother. I didn't really understand what he meant. Now I do. I love these people. Really and truly. I would give my right arm for Chris, or Nicole, or Jeffery. Every time I think I could not love another little broken person, I find another and I love them just as much as the others. I feel really humbled that the Lord trusts me, insignificant Sabrina Danielle Perkins, with these very tender children of His. In the midst of these difficult trials I'm experiencing with my dear little ones here in Dows Lake I feel a sense of hope that is unparallel to anything I've ever felt in my life. I've started my days by going to the Lord and prayer and saying I know that there is a lot to be done and I can't do it all. So tell me what you would have me do. That has really made all of the difference. I have seen the Father come into these broken homes and apartments and wrap his arms around His children. Last night we were talking to Chris and he said, "There are only two things that make me feel better right now. Going to the gym and reading the Book of Mormon. Every time I read the Book of Mormon I can feel my parents standing next to me." My heart was so full when I heard those words. I promise you, nothing in this world can bring more peace, joy, and hope than the Book of Mormon. This is a gospel of hope. I know that my redeemer lives. I know that he is there, because I too have felt the Savior wrap His arms around me in what can be difficult moments. Promise me that you will not take the Book of Mormon for granted. Promise me that you'll tell your loved ones how you feel. Promise me that you'll always do the will of the Father. Because I can promise you there is no other way to find joy in a world where there seems to be very little light at times. Please pray for my little ones here in Dows Lake. We need miracles.

I'm so grateful for this blessing. It's truly the most fulfilling thing I have ever done. I can't imagine doing anything else at this point in my life. Thank you for your love and support. You are my angels.Also, please pray for spring:) I know the Canadians would probably sic moose on me if they knew I was praying for spring already, but I'm not afraid of them:)
Have a beautiful week! Pray for miracles. I love you, don't ever forget that!

Sister Sabrina Perkins

No comments: