Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My New Companion!!


Hello family!!!
So guess what??? Tomorrow is my five month mark! Isn't that insane? I feel like it's all going by so fast. It's very nearly scary. This week here in the CMM was a beautiful one indeed. I was super blessed:)

Let's start with a recap.

1st: I have a new companion. Her name is Sister Chadburn and she is the funniest little chica I have ever met. She's from Denver and is just an incredible missionary. It's been really fun getting to know her. She is just the sweetest thing.The other night she was telling me how her parents met and she said, "So, my mom was dating this guy who looked like Brad Pitt. And his name was Bob....Bob Marley." I looked at her like she was nuts. "Bob Marley? You're mom was dating a Jamaican singer who looked like Brad Pitt?" It was pretty hysterical. So now every time we can't remember someone's name we say "I think his name is Bob....Bob Marley." That's just one of the numerous inside jokes we've already made up in our 5 days together. I'm praying I get to serve with her for at least 2 transfers.

2nd: Robert got the priesthood this Sunday! It was incredible! He was so happy. And wouldn't you believe it the adversary worked really hard on him this week trying to prevent him from getting the priesthood. We went to visit on Thursday and he just didn't seem like his usual bubbly self. I kept asking if he was okay and he kept saying he was just tired. Sidenote: on my mission I have developed these weird motherly instincts where I know what's wrong with my investigators and when there is something wrong. I knew he read something that scared him, but I also knew he wouldn't tell us until he was ready. Well, the next evening he called in a panic. He started telling us what happened and before he said what it was I whispered it to my companion. And then he told us that he found some literature about how the church didn't allow African men to hold the priesthood until 1978. I know the spirit helped me figure that one out. Long story with the help of some amazing priesthood holders in this area we were able to help him out and he received the priesthood yesterday.

3rd: This week we had interviews with President Cannon. It was a really cool experience. I love President and Sister Cannon. I went in with a big list of questions (Thank you sister Pace for the heads up). President really knew what to say and how to help me. However, I'm pretty sure I sealed my fate for Spanish speaking.....pray for my stomach. And then it got even better because then I got to talk to Sister Cannon:) Sister Cannon was talking to me about family and dating of all things (Mom, she could not stop saying how beautiful and young you look) and she looked at me with tears in her eyes and told me how special I am to her and this mission. It meant a lot especially because every now and then I just feel like a little fish in this big pond. It's always good to be reminded that you are special.

4th: This week I have been drinking deeply from the book of Ether. I love The Book of Mormon! As I've been reading Ether there have been so many things that are so symbolic to me. But one thing that I really was struck by was in Ether 2:25 where the Lord tells the Brother of Jared as he's preparing him for this voyage "I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come. Therefore what will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have light when ye are swallowed up in the depth of the sea?" I struck me that the Lord is always preparing us for "rough seas" so to speak. He knows all of the dangers, the hurts, the risks, the challenges, because he has experienced all. And just like Ether the Lord will guide us in our preparation so when we do face those time we can praise him as the family of the Brother of Jared does in chapter 6.

I love this gospel. I love my calling. I love Ottawa. I love Sister Chadburn. I love you. Thank you for your love and support I really could not do this without you. Have a beautiful week and don't forget to pray.

Je vous aime!

Sister Perkins

No comments: