Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Late But Great!

Hello everyone!
It sounds like you are all doing a little bit better than last week. That brings sunshine to my soul. Today is a beautiful sunshiney day in the polar ice caps it's -4 but it feels all toasty and what not:) I'm turning into a polar bear.
Oh my goodness! I have blessings can I just start there? You people are amazing! Really. I read your letters and my for a moment the little place in my heart reserved for only you is filled and I can almost feel home again. I love your letters. I love you.
This week was phenomenal. I had so many experiences that to me were so sacred I'm a little afraid to type them up. But I will try. Being in the YSA ward has had so many blessings. I have met so many people that I know the Savior put in my path to either brighten my day or reaffirm why I'm here. I often feel like I don't deserve half of the blessing I have been given, but that's the miraculous thing about the Savior he requires so little and gives so much in return. There is a young man in our ward named Antonio, this beautiful little guy has a severe disability that renders him unable to do much. But every week he passes the sacrament in his wheel chair and it is an experience that is so sacred that with out fail my eyes well up with tears every week. This last week little Antonio wrote his testimony for someone to read for him (he is unable to speak). He bore a sweet and simple testimony about church and how being at church makes him a better person, how we make him a better person. I cried through the entire thing and all I could think of was how many times I have taken my own ability to walk, to write, to speak for granted. That evening we actually had a dinner appointment with Antonio and his parents. They were the kindest, gentlest people I have ever had the opportunity of associating with. They are from Guatemala and El Salvador and were kind enough to practice speaking in Spanish with me. And even more gracious to provide a meal fit for a queen when they have so little. I watched this beautiful mother care for her son and my heart was so full. This beautiful little Amaya family had the light of Christ in every ounce of their being and my soul yearned to be more like them. It was that Alma the younger moment all over again "Oh that I were an angel."
This Friday at 6 pm (4 pm for you) our dear investigator Robert will be getting baptized. The experience of watching this man change his life and accept the gospel is something that is so dear and sacred to me I can't really explain it. But I know watching his life changed has changed mine infinately more so. Maybe one day I'll be able to better put into words the experience my zone and I have been through with this particular investigator, but for now it's too sacred.But know that this man is going to be an influential part of the church wherever he goes. This has become apparent as he has had some very real experiences with opposition. Please pray for him.
Last week I also had the opportunity to go back to Gatineau for splits. It was a really experience. I visited two investigators who had baptismal dates when I left, and when I saw them the light was completely gone from their eyes. I don't know if it was laziness or they were antied but it was heart breaking to the point of I couldn't even cry because I was so torn up. But then I visited an old investigator named Daphney. When I left Daphney was not doing well. She was sad, angry, and had no desire to read. But when I saw her she wrapped her arms around me and was just happy as a clam. Once again my heart was so very full.
Please don't ever forget the gospel is real. This isn't just theology or someone's opion on happiness. It is and will eternally be happiness. But the adversary does not want you to remember that. But I promise you if you cleave to your covenants and fight like all get out the Lord will preserve you. Never give up on the little things. Remember in the war chapters of Alma Moroni didn't just fortify the city with one rinky dink wall. No there were walls, moats, ditches, pickets, towers. And so should our lives be fortified with those little things: prayer, reading, church, temple,etc. And when the adversary comes he will be as Alma says "exceedingly astonished" at how well we have prepared.
I'm sorry this email is so missionary-esque, I don't know how else to be anymore:) But know that I love you. I pray for you individually. For your needs, hopes, and dreams. Have a beautiful week!
I love you.
Sister Perkins
p.s. next p-day is monday as ususal.

No comments: