Monday, March 5, 2012

Ma-ma-ma-march!



Well, dearlings this week we are using the wonderful computers at the Ottawa Library. We have exactly 15 minutes to write and then the computer kicks us off. It's pretty epic. We usually have computers at the church, but this week the internet is down. Oh the glamorous mission life:) Before I forget HAPPY BIRTHDAY ISRAEL!!!! And a late one to baby Nixon too! Iz I love you so much you are the best brother a girl could ever ask for. I'm pretty sure this is your year, it's going to be a golden one. Nixers, stop getting so big. I need you to stay a baby until I get back, por favor:)
First thing I would like to address: Mother I am not dying of cold. It's been a super mild winter. In fact once it's starts hovering around zero I get really toasty. Also, we have a car so really you can't complain too much. It's a fancy shmancy car which makes us even more spoiled rotten. And my companion and I make tea and panela(colombian hot drink) every day. It's a beautiful thing.The blessings of being on the Lord's errand:) Trust me I'm healthy, happy, and warm.
This week we spent the majority of our time dropping people:( That is probably the worst part of being on a mission. I hate having to drop, but at the same time I realized this week that I'm here on the Lord's errand and my job is to invite others to come unto Christ, if they don't want to accept then it's time to move on. Acutally, did I say I hate having to drop people? Well I did at first and then all of the sudden it was almost like I was overtaken with drop fever. Let's just say that the number of investigators we have left we can count on one hand:) Yeah. We could use your prayers:) The exciting thing about dropping is we have a lot of time to do knocking and finding:) Let me tell you we've met a lot of crazies. We knocked into this guy and his friend Andy. Andy didn't actually talk his friend(still don't know his name) did all of the talking. He would say stuff like "Well, Andy and I believe blah, blah, blah." I kept thinking why doesn't Andy tell us what he believes, chief? And then he went into this whole analogy that Christianity is like a cellar full of different types of jam and that is why there are so many different religions. I was literally biting my lip the entire time, because that was the Cah-raziest explanation of the apostasy I have ever heard. I'm going to write another book when I get home called, "People's Interpretations of the Bible: A foodie's journey." We've actually made knocking into a game, we try to guess where the drug smells are coming from:) Mom don't freak out. Canadians are harmless they don't even own guns:)
Can I just say how much I love our Chinese investigators/members? They are incredible! Everytime I feel blue one of those little guys pops in and just makes me so happy again. They are my little angels. Our little Ami Jeffery has been progressing a lot lately. I can't even explain other than it's that change of heart he literally has no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually. It's really one of the most beautiful transformations a missionary could ever hope to witness. He texted us last night to tell us that he wants to help us teach other people about Jesus Christ, so we could call him to help us with our lessons. It was pretty incredible. They are just the sweetest little things and I wish I could just take them with me everywhere.
Last night my companion and I had the beautiful opportunity to attend a baptism for the Spanish group that our Riverside Elders help with (the infamous Elder Meza and his new comp Elder Shaver). The baptism was beautiful and entirely in Spanish. Oh mi corazon! I was sooooo happy to hear/talk to those little latinos. Such beautiful people! Mom I promise that by the time I get home I will speak Spanish and if I don't...I'm going to fake it really well:)
So this week before we dropped everyone and their mom, it should be known that Sister Perkins gets really bad anxiety when it comes to dropping people. I'm always worried that I didn't do the right thing. But then I realized that if we hold on to people who aren't progressing we aren't showing the Savior that we have faith he will provide those who can progress. Last night we watched the movie "Finding faith in Christ" with our sweet little Jeffery, Comet, William, and Shu-ling, and there was a part that really struck me. There is a leper that comes to the Savior and says, "If thou wilt thou canst make me clean." The phrase really stood out to me because of course the Savior could heal this man, but this man was humble enough to recognize that maybe healing wasn't the best thing for him. The Savior and the Father can do anything, but as the scriptures teach prayer isn't to change the will of the Father to but to teach us to align our will with His. So, what really hit me was that I don't need to be praying that the hearts of these investigators will be turned, but that whatever the Lord does is because He knows it will be for my best. So, really what we should pray for is to be humble enough to accept His answers when they come.
I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love that He has given me a shot at being a missionary. I'm not always amazing at it, but I can promise you where I lack He makes all of the difference. I have been blessed a lot. My companion is so sweet and makes me laugh all the time. My little itty bitty flock of investigators are incredible. My family and friends back home are the best. I really couldn't not ask for more. I love you all. May the Lord bless you.
Love,
Sister Perkins

No comments: