Wednesday, February 24, 2010

One Year

Today is a very exciting day.
Exactly one year from this very day my dear friend,
Elder "Ace" Morgan, entered the MTC to serve in the Quezon City, Philippines mission.

We went to school together for five years before we actually spoke.
I remember he walked into creative writing late, like he did everyday.
Sat down in front of me, like he did everyday.
And ignored me, like he did everyday.

But on this day his tag was sticking out.
"Your tag is sticking out." I mumbled more to myself, knowing he would probably ignore me.
"What?"
"I said. Your. Tag. Is. Sticking. Out."
"Okay." He turned around completely ignoring my annoyance with his tag flailing in the AC.

We continued ignoring each other for a few more days until one day he slipped a piece of paper on my desk with an anime comic of me karate chopping his tag off. He sat in front of me smirking.

Ironically, a series of unfortunate events(not the book) brought us together. Through similar personal struggles we became close friends and confidants.

I wish I could tell you his story. Or tell you why we were meant to be friends. Or why I'm so proud of where he is and what he's doing. But I can't. That's his story. Not mine.

He is: My friend. My weekly reminder that I am a daughter of God. My Dr. Phil(I bet he's going to love that I compared him to Dr. Phil). My Umbrella-ella-ella. My CHALK ART. My Lagooooon bus ride buddy. My snakesalive? And my daily reminder that every person comes into our lives for a reason.... Even that annoyingly quiet kid in your creative writing class.

xo

6 comments:

Jalene said...

this is such a cute story. it made me laugh. :)

Carlie M. said...

Love this. Love you. Love Ace.
:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sabrina. Your cousin Travis here. Love the story and sounds like you have a great friend!!! Hope everything's treating you well in Provo.

tifsong said...

i like you. but i've told you that before. i tell you that all the time.

LUKE AND MONICA said...

I love you tons! I love Carlos and the amazing example that he is of strength even in adversity! He is a great missionary from what I hear and I am glad that he is your friend!

jessica renae said...

I miss carlos!! you should tell him that for me :) it's crazy it's already been a year, isn't it?