Monday, January 21, 2013

 so everyone and their mom has a cat here. And one of our investigators has a little cat and so I decided to play with it because it always wants to play with someone. Well, he attacked me. So, Sister Limburg made me this nice little cast. They even wrote on it:) the gorgeous Sister May!!!!
 the gorgeous Sister May!!!!


So after too many days of warm beautiful sunshine we had blizzard after blizzard last week. Yay! Just to illustrate how cold it is let's says it's a balmy -32 Celsius in these parts. Gotta love a little wind chill. 

I have a somewhat embarrassing story to tell about the snow and cold. Yesterday (Sunday) we get a phone call from a member about 45 minutes before church and she said "Sister church is canceled! Do not go outside until the blizzard passes. Please call the Elders and let them know." So I called the Elders to tell them about our Sabbath Snow day and they told me they were going to call the bishop just to make sure and that they would let us know. Meanwhile in all of my apostateness I danced around the house yelling "SNOW DAY!!! SNOOOOOOW DAAAAY!" Not because I hate church (obviously, right?) But more because my whole mission I've dreamed about it being so darn miserable that we have to have a Snow Day. I've never had one before. Mid dance and snowman building talk we get a call from the Elders to inform us that we were still having sacrament meeting. I felt so bad that our poor greenie had to see that... Oh my goodness speaking of the greenie....

So on Wednesday we picked up the beautiful Sister May! We were so happy because Sister May basically already served a 10 month mission here. Sister May is from London but her family moved to Montreal four years ago. She has the most gorg British accent!!!! I  love imitating her all day long. Before her mission she worked with the Sisters in Montreal so training her is like a piece of cake because she basically already knows everything. It's been a lot of fun:)

Well, this week we knocked and knocked and knocked and fasted and prayed and knocked some more. And we got a lot of rejection. This has been a trial of our faith kind of week. It was pretty mentally and physically draining. The cold makes people grouchy. However, this little angel sent me a talk this week by Elder Holland called " An High Priest of Good Things to Come". Elder Holland shares this story about how when he was a young father and he tried to move his family across the country and twice in the exact same spot their car broke down and he had to walk back to Kanaarville for help. He talked about how frustrating the whole situation was. And then talks about how the experience changed  for him later.  
"Just two weeks ago this weekend, I drove by that exact spot where the freeway turnoff leads to a frontage road, just three miles or so west of Kanarraville, Utah. That same beautiful and loyal wife, my dearest friend and greatest supporter for all these years, was curled up asleep in the seat beside me. The two children in the story, and the little brother who later joined them, have long since grown up and served missions, married perfectly, and are now raising children of their own. The automobile we were driving this time was modest but very pleasant and very safe. In fact, except for me and my lovely Pat situated so peacefully at my side, nothing of that moment two weeks ago was even remotely like the distressing circumstances of three decades earlier.

Yet in my mind’s eye, for just an instant, I thought perhaps I saw on that side road an old car with a devoted young wife and two little children making the best of a bad situation there. Just ahead of them I imagined that I saw a young fellow walking toward Kanarraville, with plenty of distance still ahead of him. His shoulders seemed to be slumping a little, the weight of a young father’s fear evident in his pace. In the scriptural phrase his hands did seem to “hang down.” In that imaginary instant, I couldn’t help calling out to him: “Don’t give up, boy. Don’t you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead—a lot of it—30 years of it now, and still counting. You keep your chin up. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come.”

Don't give up! The Lord will help you. He is aware of you and he love you! Even if that means you have to knock for a few hundred hours before you find that one person who says yes. He will come through and you will later see that it was all for your good. 

I hope you have a great week! Remember that I love you! Remember that you are great! 

Bisous Bisous

Sister Perkins

No comments: