Monday, January 28, 2013

greenie baby`s greenie dinner. Isn`t she so cute?



Bonjour! 

This week was a good one. We laughed a lot as usual. Sister May has the most explosive laugh. It`s loud and high. A lot of the time we`re laughing because she`s laughing not because anything is actually funny. 

What wasn`t funny this week were the temperatures. -40 anyone? Yes -40 Celsius.  So horrible. But we survived. Actually we decided since we couldn`t really go knocking to go see Lucy. This was Sister May`s first Lucy experience and it was exactly that, an experience. As soon as we walk in Lucy says ``Here she is! My tahitian.`` We never said that. Sweet Sister May attempts to explain that she was born in England but her mom is from Jamaica. But all Lucy hears is Jamaica. So she launches into Jamaican coffee and pulls out this big coffee tin called Jamaican me Crazy. Then she asks Sister May what it means, why they named the coffee this. Sister May tries to explain the play on words then Lucy asks, ``So am I making Jamaica crazy or is Jamaica making me crazy?`` She asked this question about 500 times even after Sister May explained that it was a play on words. I kept thinking your making ME crazy. It was pretty funny. She also made us soup which was a very fine gesture. She had a basket of crackers on the table for us too. I took a cracker about halfway into my soup and Sister L looked at me with big warning eyes, but I ate it anyways. Bad move. I`m pretty sure it was the first cracker ever invented because it tasted that old. This thing wasn`t just stale, it was rancid. I looked at the other two Sisters and the three of us tried not to laugh while Lucy still kept asking about Jamaican me crazy. Crazy is one way of describing the day.

Since it was so blasted cold last week poor Sister L started to come down with a really horrible cold. So we let her sleep for a couple of hours. I think I`ve forgotten to mention this but Sister May is super duper talented. She plays the guitar so since we had a few hours she taught me some chords,  I`m like Johnny Cash now;) Kidding but it was really fun to sing and play hymns. We`re hardcore. 

Another thing I`ve picked up from Soeur May is her accent. Not all of the time, but every now and then I catch myself and I say something weird like ``toe-ma-toe`` instead of tomato. It`s really funny. 

So, we`ve been trying this really interesting method of missionary work with the Elder team here in Quebec where we work with each others super solid investigators. We figure they need more support. So we`ve been meeting with Steven who is a super amazing investigator. His story is quite incredible but super long. Basically he`s done everything in his power to change his life but he`s hitting a ton of roadblocks. Like Job from the Bible. It hasn`t just been raining it`s been pouring on this poor man. Yesterday he found out that he won`t be able to get baptized this week because of something that happened in his past. He was so down. I just wanted to cry fro him. He wants it so bad. We had a little lesson and talked about trials. I could see so much hope for him even though he couldn`t. But then I realized that trials are kind of like that. We`re stuck looking at the problem but everyone else can see the solutions. We allow ourselves to hope so much for the people around us but forget that the same God loves and works for us too. We shared the classic 1 Nephi 3:7 and the room filled with hope as he read Nephi`s famous `I will go and do the things the Lord commands for I know the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of man save he shall prepare a way.`` There is always a way, we just have to remember to look back to Him who knows all. Please pray for my friend Steven. 

I hope you have a beautiful, joyful, warm week! Can you believe it`s almost February? 

I love you!
Bisous
Soeur Perkins

No comments: