Monday, October 1, 2012

Picture of the Week. Yeah. It's random. So this is Elder Riviera he's the AP. And we have this running joke about this crazy Ward Mission Leader from Zarahemla who once drew the Ward mission plan on an orange. So Elder Riviera drew it for me again on a watermelon. So classy:) Or in the words of President Cannon, "So Gangster!"


Hey there!
I'm getting spooked! Ever since I hit my year mark I feel like my life is going by at a rapid rate! Where is time going?! I've been trying to figure out a way to make time slow down, because let's be honest I need more than six months. Oh dear!

This week was actually pretty good. We ran around like crazies, which is pretty much normal. We had Sister's Conference at the mission home and it was soooo much fun! I love being at the Cannon's house and even better...with all of my sista's. We got to sleep over so the night before the actual conference we played games and painted nails. It was so normal...it actually felt weird. I'm turning into that missionary. However, we went to go visit Sister Delgado before Sister's Conference and she painted my nails in this fancy shmancy way that we started calling the Delgado nails. She's too cute. So all week I kept staring at my nails. They were too pretty. I feel like nothing about me is presentable anymore. But last week I had rocking nails. Beautiful thing....um back to sister's conference. President and Sister Cannon really wanted to drive home the fact that we are just as important and influential as the Elders. There were also good trainings on stress management (a must), and language study plans. It was a really great conference. But I would have to say my favorite part was listening to President talk about how fascinated he was by the way gangsters talk over lunch.  "Let's take the phrase 'Get outtta my face'. Can someone literally be in your face? And Bra. I'm not sure that's appropriate to call another person." And in the back Sister Cannon said, "I find this conversation inappropriate." I was laughing super hard. Maybe it's just funny to me because I'm a missionary. 

Can I just say how excited I am for General Conference? It's like the spiritual superbowl. Speaking of sounding like a missionary.... We went to the women's broadcast this last Saturday in French, and it was absolutely incredible. I just love conference! When we were at the stake center I actually met a sister who just returned from serving in STG. It made me so happy! She told me that she absolutely adored her mission there. Really, who can blame her? I'm so excited for GC! Best time of the whole year!!!

So yesterday at church there was a random lady who came to Gospel Doctrine she was clearly not a member so Sister C and I went and sat by her. The situation seemed pretty normal (for us) until during the prayer I noticed that her bag was ticking. Yeah. Like a timebomb. Or the crocodile in Peter Pan. So I look at Sister C to see if she is hearing what I'm hearing and she seemed to be fine. So then I look across the room at the Elders to see if they can hear it and they are also fine. So then I'm like maybe it's my watch. So I casually lift my watch to my ear to see. Nope. Meanwhile the teacher is asking everyone to share a talent they have developed. For some reason  HoneyHead thought she said share a talent you would like to have, so it gets to HoneyHead and she says, "Charity." And I thought "Well, look at you Miss Christ-like attributes." Because Sister C just barely told me like two days earlier that she was working on Charity, and so I thought "oooh-la-la-la you figured that out quick." As you can imagine my brain was reeling. Timebomb. Charity. Crocodile.I knew the Elders would be leaving the class soon to go to the other ward they cover so I wrote them a quick note just in case. I basically told them not to deep fry the turkey for Canadian Thanksgiving (Next week). Yeah. For some reason that was my dying wish. The end of this story is pretty anti-climatic, after class ended she just got up and left. I'm not going to lie a was pretty relieved. And then I told Sister C about the crocodile/timebomb and she started laughing and said, " This is the second time you've thought somebody had a bomb." This is true. If you remember my experience at the court house in Ottawa....so maybe I'm a little paranoid. 

During sacrament yesterday I was reading in D&C 25 where the Lord speaks to Emma Smith. It's such a powerful section for the sisters in the church. I love it! But I was really struck by verse 4, that says, "Murmur not because of the things which thou hast not seen, for they are withheld from thee and from the world, which is wisdom in me in a time to come." It really hit me because....I murmur. A lot. Sometimes I err more on the Laman and Lemuel side and less on the Nephi side. Sometimes I murmur because I'm not sure how things are going to work out. Sometimes I murmur because people are mean. Sometimes I murmur because getting up at 6:30 everyday is not fun. Sometimes I murmur because I miss my old clothes. Sometimes I murmur because I don't recognize my body or hair anymore. Sometimes I murmur because of this or that little detail. I murmur a lot. It's annoying, I'm sure. I bet there are days when the Lord wants to say, "Hey you! Knock it off!" But the Lord has promised us that as long as we listen to Him, He will take care of everything. We've been given so much, but for one reason or another we allow ourselves to forget. The three most beautiful words I've heard in the French language are "Je me souviens" (I remember). Don't forget. Don't forget what you've been given. Don't forget who you are. And most importantly don't forget that He has a plan for us all. 

I really hope this email makes sense. I feel like the longer I'm on my mission the more my brain turns into a pinball machine. It's pretty ridiculous. But please know that I love you and thank the Lord every time I think about all of the beautiful people back home supporting me here. I love you!

Bisous Bisous!

Soeur Perkins

No comments: