Monday, October 8, 2012


Canadian Thanksgiving Day!
Hello!!!!
Today is indeed Canadian Thanksgiving and we are going to be having a big feast in about two hours. We're super excited! More than even most Quebec-ers. They don't really celebrate they just take work off. But Sister C and I decided that this was an excellent opportunity to make a big meal with all of the missionaries we love. Elder Blank and a few other Elders bought a 28lbs turkey! The poor Elders woke up at 5 this morning to go cook the turkey at the mission home. Sister C turned into Martha Stewart and made two different kinds of sweet potatoes. When we just got to the mission office we found out that the Elders in charge of the stuffing burnt it. So that will be interesting. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a great meal though! We even made fancy Indian hats, we didn't want to spare any measure of effort for our Canadian Thanksgiving.

This week was as usual insane! We ran around like crazies here there and everywhere. There is no time to rest here. But it's good and makes me feel like a real  missionary. I think when people are preparing to go on a mission they always think they're going to turn into this superhuman version of themselves, full of charity, patience, love, deep doctrinal answers. But the truth is your just the same. But the good news is that the Lord makes up for your weaknesses. He's helped me be better in ways that I didn't know I could be better. It's pretty incredible!

So, obviously conference was amazing! I couldn't write notes fast enough and I just kept thinking I can't believe I have to wait a whole month before the Ensign comes out. It's ridiculous. I need it now!!! But I'm so happy that we were able to be so spiritually edified by the leaders of this amazing church. However, we were dying by session four. It's been a very, very, very long time (okay, 6 months) since I've sat and watched something. I felt like I had a mild form of ADHD. It was soooo hard to sit there. But it was well worth it:)

On Friday we visited Carline and Gregory. We taught them the entire plan of Salvation and the spirit was really strong so we decided it was time to try to commit them. They were so excited and nervous, but they accepted. We were so happy and my heart just felt to bursting! There are days when I think "Why is this sooooo hard!?". Sometimes being a missionary is really discouraging, but the moments that are rewarding are incredibly rewarding. More than anything else I've ever been a part of. And when those moments happen I can help but happen to feel incredibly grateful for all that I've been given. And seeing that it's Canadian Thanksgiving I want to name a few things that I'm grateful for. I'm grateful for the past year. My life has changed. I've changed. I'm grateful for my companions and the other missionaries I've been able to serve around. I know the Lord sent them to me to help me be better. I'm grateful for my family. They're incredible and my best buddies. I love you all! I'm grateful for my friends who have been there for the past year. Thank you for being patient with my inability to write back:) I'm super grateful for my healthy body, for my curly hair (finally learned to love it), for the fact that I've grown 1/2 inch:) I'm grateful for the ability to pray each night, and even more for the ability to let go of my imperfections as I pray to my Father in Heaven for Forgiveness. I'm grateful for the leaves in Canada that are so beautifully changing. I'm grateful for my Honeyhead. I'm grateful for my District. I'm grateful for my faith, my membership in the church, and my scriptures. I'm just so thankful for all that the Lord has given me and don't really have the words to express my gratitude for all that I have, but as Ammon stated in Alma 26 "Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name." Have we not reason to rejoice? Take time this week to count your blessings and name them one by one. 

Thank you for your love and your prayers. Please never cease to pray for the missionaries. We need them! More than letters and packages, and thanksgiving dinner we need prayers! Have a beautiful week! Eat pie! Drink Apple Cider! Count your blessings! Remember that I love you!

Bisous! Bisous! 

Soeur Perkins

No comments: