Monday, September 24, 2012


Me and the Honeyhead at the Delgado's house

Me and Sister Delgado with my birthday cupcakes. She is the cutest pie ever and is so kind! 



Hello Family and Friends!

I can't believe that it's fall again, but everything here is saying Fall! Sister C and I have been like busy little beavers but every now and then we take a few minutes to make something delicious and fall-ish (apple crisps, pumpkin cookies, german pancakes with peaches). I'm such a sucker for fall. I LOVE THIS SEASON! I've also been collecting the leaves that never seem to stop falling. It's so stinking beautiful! This is the time of year that I'm actually grateful to be serving in Canada. Too bad winter is coming. Nooooo!!!! I'm still un thawing. 

On Saturday we got to have lunch with the super duper lovely Kat! Oh my goodness! She was the highlight of our week (I'll explain more later). Kat is an amazing member from Dows Lake and every time I see I just can't help but feel so much gratitude. I'm just so happy that the Lord let me be a part of her life. She's an incredible member! I miss Ottawa!! Maybe one day if I'm really good I can go back? Probably not though. 

My district made sure I had the best year mark. We all went out for crepes and this fancy shmancy crepe place that Sister Sandoval took me to for my birthday. It was super yummy! Basically this is my favorite district in the whole world. It consists of Elder Blank and Elder Foster, Elder McMurrin and Elder Mortenson, The Bendios (a Senior couple) and Honeyhead and Me. Basically coolest district everrrrr! If you've never served a mission your District is basically like your little family and this is the best one so far...well...aside from my MTC district. I'm already sad just thinking about the fact that Sister C and Elder Blank are leaving us next month. Boo!

So this week was rough. Super duper rough. Every member that was supposed to help us didn't show up. Our solid investigators went MIA and it just seemed like Satan was being particularly rude. I can't stand him. We had one really really really bad day. Actually it was a bad afternoon. So we decided to go knocking and we got let into this apartment building were no one was interested. So, we're talking in between doors and Sister C tells me about how she used to be afraid that someone would try to push her down the stairs.So, I'm laughing at her and we're about to knock on this the very last door and this crazy old man comes running out of his house yelling (in French) "GET OUUUUUT! GET OUUUUUTTTT!" So, he kind of pushed Sister C towards the stairs and then pushed me towards the stairs. I instantly started laughing like a crazy because I thought, "How ironic?" So, we left that building and went next door. Sister C buzzed on this door and a lady stuck her head out the window so Sister C started explaining who we were and the lady let out a stream of not very nice words. Then our appointment canceled. Our member for the next appointment never showed up and it just seemed like no matter what nothing was working out. If you know me at all you know that my instant gut reaction is to laugh, but the second is to cry. So at this point I'm all water works, because really? REALLY, Canada? So, we ended up going to the appointment sans member. We went to visit a couple named Karen and Gregory. They are really cool and were in a super bad car accident about a month ago. So, we've been going to help them and pray and sing. They love it. On Monday the Elders came with us to give them a blessing. Gregory LOVED it! So anyway  we show up and I'm grumpy gills. But as soon as I saw them my heart melted. And I remembered this line from a song that Sister Sandoval used to play that says, "I can promise, I can promise you that the Lord knows what he's doing." And it just really hit me. He does know. I have absolutely no idea in the world why we had to see all of those mean people, but I do know that He has a plan. I also know that even though it's not easy this is worth it. It's like that quote from Joseph Smith " Shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren (and Sisters) and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing... Let the woods and the trees of the field praise the Lord,... and let all the sons of God shout for joy!" I have no idea what the Lord has planned but I do know that in the end we will have joy!

Well, I hope you have a beautiful, fantastic, super duper, cozy fall week! play in some leaves and eat something cinnamon-y! 

I love you!


Sister Perkins

No comments: