Monday, September 10, 2012

 This is our family Christmas card photo with Pierre and Nicole:)


This is Sister S after I turned her into a tree. So the Elders stole our antenna off of our car. They actually held it hostage until we gave them cookies. So this is us after we got it. I felt like Harry Potter, but I look more like Bellatrix. I know what I'm going to be for Halloween:)
  "Je vais chanter avec mes filles!"

This summer I've developed a penchant for frozen water. I'm addicted to frozen water bottles and now Sister S is too. We look like drunks.

Hello everyone! 
How are you all doing? I'm doing pretty good. I'm happy and healthy and can't wait for this new month. I can just feel it in my bones...It's going to be a miracle month! 

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LUKEY!  I'm so happy that you are my brother and that with out fail you always have a good song about peanut butter and jelly, or putting on pajamas. I'm so happy that you're a part of our family! Eat lots of pie, because I know you don't really like cake:)

So this week we had a really funny lesson with this girl named Sabrina. MY NAME! It's so weird calling someone my name. But anyway she's a little crazy, but she has a sincere desire to learn. She's one of those people who has had a really rough life. She's lived in really sketchy situations and just needs some love. We had a crazy lesson that was kind of all over the place and at the end of the lesson I asked if there was anything we could do for her and she said, "Hmmm. GROUP HUG!" It was like the funniest thing I've ever had anyone say when I ask that. People usually just say "No." It made me laugh:)

We also had a really great lesson with Nicole and Pierre. It was soooo cool! We taught her about the importance of prayer and how we receive answers to our prayers. The cool thing about this lesson was that both Sister Sandoval and I could understand everything! The spirit was really strong and she was so excited to pray. She actually prayed at the end. It was so amazing! Teaching in sign has been cool because we totally have to rely on the spirit. It's amazing!

On Saturday we did a lot of visits and pass-bys I would like to write about two in particular that I'm still laughing about.

Experience number 1: About a week and a half ago we met this guy who owned a dry cleaning shop. The circumstances in which we met him included me needing to use the bathroom and the fact that he had one. The bathroom experience was probably the scariest one I've ever had, but that's not the purpose of this story. So anyway we went back to teach him this week and after about a 45 minute rant on his part about how the Bible is like a Sunset and we can each interpret it how we want, we tried to pray with him. Which took another 15 minutes. He talked and talked forever about how we needed to be women of faith so finally I just say, "How about I say the prayer?" And he was like, "Yeah, Sister, pray for me." So, I start praying, but then I was confused because he started praying too. Really LOUD. Like over my prayer. I actually laughed for a little while and he didn't even notice because he was so involved in his prayer. It was hysterical. My companion said she bit her lip the whole time to keep from laughing. 

Experience number 2: We've been visiting this cute little single mom and her 5 yr old son. He is stinking cute and he loves us a lot. Well, when we visited them they had just gotten back from buying his new backpack for school (it's blowing my mind that school has started again).  His mom asked him to go get her scripture and he said, "Je vais chanter avec mes filles" (translation: I'm gonna sing with ma girls!" It was so hysterical! Then he wanted to say the prayer and he said, "God, bless my girls, Chris and Chris." I guess he saw Christ on our tags and assumed our names were both Chris. It was so funny. And then he danced for us. Best visit ever!

This week is going to be awesome because we are going to be having a BAPTISM! Her name is Manntara, she is 14 yrs old and she is the only member in her family interested in the church. It's actually pretty crazy because her whole family was being taught, but she was the only one who continued to learn when we took over for the Elders. She's amazing! Every Sunday she travels an hour by bus and 20 minutes by metro to get to church. The other day we were going through the baptismal questions and she told us that she knows it's going to be hard to be the only member, but she knows it's true. Please pray for her. Oh I love baptisms!

This week was a big learning week for me. I learned a lot about love. Real love. Charity. I feel like I'm good at loving, but less good at the charity part. The love in action part. So, after a really great talk with President Cannon, I've been studying the application part. Oh I have miles to go, but one thing I've realized this week is that, hope is a major part of charity. You can't really love someone if you don't have hope for them. We love our investigators so much that our hope helps them to change. I've been thinking a lot about hope and as  always it goes back to the Atonement. We have hope because of the Atonement. I really love this quote by Elder Uchtdorf "Hope is a gift of the Spirit. It is a hope that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the power of His Resurrection, we shall be raised unto life eternal and this because of our faith in the Savior. This kind of hope is both a principle of promise as well as a commandment, and, as with all commandments, we have the responsibility to make it an active part of our lives and overcome the temptation to lose hope. Hope in our Heavenly Father’s merciful plan of happiness leads to peace, mercy, rejoicing, and gladness. The hope of salvation is like a protective helmet; it is the foundation of our faith and an anchor to our souls." We can't lose hope. Not for ourselves, not for those we love. Remember to show love:) Life is so much sweeter when you do!

I hope you have a grand week! I hope you laugh a lot. I hope you sing out loud and eat tasty end of summer treats! Enjoy because Adam fell that we might feel Joy! 

Bisous Bisous

Sister Perkins

No comments: