Monday, January 12, 2009

Writing Prompt: America the Beautiful...

This post for my 2010 English class is to be directed toward what it means to me to be an American citizen. As well as how the text of this class (Rereading America) might challenge my opinion.

For me being an American citizen is hard to put into words. The first thing that comes to mind is blessings...this country is so immensely blessed. A major component of America is diversity. Therefore, America's citizen are also diverse. This country thrives on individualism. Even the idea of the "American Dream" is formed by  and tailored to the dreamer. Individualism is key to the American because this country was founded by individualists. There is no mold to what the American citizen is to fill. We just are. 

I have a pretty good feeling that Rereading America will indefinitely challenge my views and opinions. I love this country. I love the idea of an attainable American dream. I truly believe in the traditional family. Do I live in a fantasy world? Maybe. I agree that we should challenge the norm, branch out, and make old things new. However, I also believe in holding on to the fundamentals of what this country was founded upon, and for what purposes it was founded upon. 

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love the picture on your post. Our Lady Liberty with New York City in the background. I think of the blessing that 9/11 was an event and not a pattern. Yes, the word blessing does describe what we have. While part of our security was taken at that time. Our Liberty, still stands courageously and was not the one who came down that day, something I had never considered until now, and yet still significant I think.

James said...

That picture is awesome. The statue of Liberty is such a strong symbol of our countries freedom. I agree that our country is a blessing, and we should strive to keep it in tact. We need to provide an America for our children as well.