Monday, January 12, 2009

Grammar: The Dreaded Semicolon


At some point each writer is faced with the inevitable semicolon. When do you use it? Why do you use it? These are questions I ask myself whenever faced with the perplexing matter of "To semicolon, or not to semicolon?" 
I find that I struggle the most with the artistic use of a semicolon vs. grammatical use. I think in some cases a semicolon can be used to denote a longer pause. However, some people think you're only supposed to use a semicolon to connect an elliptical clause to an independent clause. 
I found a website that says not only can it be used for artistic use (yay!) but also to connect elliptical and independent clauses. 

An example of artistic use with a semicolon: 
"In books I find the dead as if they were alive; from books come forth the laws of peace." 
An example of the connection between elliptical and independent clauses:
"We were not careless; just the opposite."

So, here's to all the semicolon scaredy cats.... Click here:)


2 comments:

Michael said...

Hey there, great looking Blog by the way. And thanks for the reference for help with the semicolon. I have had issues with this one as well.

Maddi Brown said...

Miss Sabrina,

I must say that I enjoy reading your posts. I swear you could make anything intersting! ha ha I agree with you about the traditional American dream, I love being an American as well.

See ya soon! :)