Tuesday, June 26, 2012

We had a visitor this week:) Frere Corbett taught each of us. It was really good to see him again!

 Just like the robbers!

  Yep. That all came out of our apartment:)

SIster Rodriguez also served here and we got to see her as well:)

Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

How is everyone doing? I feel like the past week has been a blur. We have been running around like lunatics or like my greenie baby says "en una locura":) But like here is Zarahemla is good, it is oh so good! Good to be in Spanish. Good to be close to the mission home. Good to be with my companions. Good to see the work we have ahead:) 

So, first of all my heart broke to leave Ottawa but as soon as I got into Montreal the madness started and hasn't really ended. It's been one crazy thing after another and now I wish I had taken better notes of it all because I can't believe what has happened in one short week. My greenie baby is named Sister Lucas, oh how I love her! I have never laughed so hard than in the past five days with this little chica! Sister Lucas is from Guatemala City, so as you can imagine I'm learning a lot from her. She makes me feel like a greenie again:) Did I mention last week that I'm in a trio? Well, I am. Our second companion is Sister Cantu, she is from Texas and is also a native Spanish speaker. These girls have already helped me out so much with my Spanish, even though I know I still have miles to go, it's good to know I have two really good teachers:)

Our ward is HUGE! I think someone told me there's something like 290 members! It's so exciting! We didn't get to know very many of them this Sunday because there was ward conference and so everyone was running around in kind of a havoc. I think I'm really going to like it here though, the members are very carinosos. And sooooo happy to have sisters:)

Our apartment nearly made us cry when we got here. And not because it was beautiful, it was so bad! Sister Lucas said, "Not even the worst hotels are this bad." I guess that's what happens when Elders live in an apartment for 5 years, but hey, after about 12 hours of (authorized by Sister Cannon) cleaning, we can almost call it home:)  Our first two days in the apartment it was as hot as Hades outside (about 38 degrees with like 80% humidity) we wanted to die. And then we got to our apartment and found out our AC unit wasn't installed....pretty cool. So a couple days later after we pretty much sweated out all of our impurities the Elders came and installed out unit for us. They did a really good job using packing tape and particle board to get in there nice and tight....yeah robbers would never think about just removing that. Well, the next day the landlord and her husband come and about knock down our door. Crazy Greek Landlord:  "WHERE DID YOU PUT THE WINDOWS?!!" Us: "What windows?" Crazy Greek Lady: (storms past us) "I paid $5000 DOLLARS for those WINDOWS. At this point she ran into our bedroom and Sister Lucas followed her in there to show here that the window was open and just covered in an AC unit, packing tape, and particle board. Meanwhile I'm standing at the door with her husband who is talking about how expensive the windows were and how we can't remove them. Then he storms past Sister Cantu and I who are so confused. Finally they both realize that just like we said the window was not removed just opened like we said. And then they started complaining about the packing tape and particle board (which I'm not going to lie, I wasn't exactly thrilled about either, but hey we were desperate). So they called our housing Elder and now he's going to be fixing our Robber-proof AC unit:) After they left we went into the bedroom and asked Sister Lucas if she had moved the dresser and she said, " No, the old crazy lady moved it in her locura!" I was dying! I'm crying from laughing as I type this. 

In other news, we have an AMAZING investigator here named Tatiana. She is as golden as they get and pretty much knows everything is true. The only thing she is waiting for is a sure answer from the Lord. We feel super blessed to get to work with her. Other than that, our area is pretty dead. It's going to take a lot of work, but I know we can do it:) However, your prayers are, as always much needed.

This week I have been thinking a lot about my greenie days and I remembered this scripture from D&C 50 that helped me through some really hard moments, I hope it helps you:)
"40 Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth. 41 Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me; 42 And none of them that my Father hath given me shall be lost. 43 And the Father and I are one. I am in the Father and the Father in me; and inasmuch as ye have received me, ye are in me and I in you.44 Wherefore, I am in your midst, and I am the good shepherd, and the stone of Israel. He that buildeth upon this rock shall never fall. 45 And the day cometh that you shall hear my voice and see me, and know that I am. 46 Watch, therefore, that ye may be ready. Even so. Amen."
Have such a good week! Remember to laugh at those crazy moments. Remember I love you. Remember that Tout ira bien! 
Love,
Sister Perkins

No comments: