Monday, June 18, 2012

Leaving Ottawa...

This was at a dinner appointment at Kyle Saunderson's and his sister Camille's appartment. He is one of the kindest YSA members! He helps us so much and is always kind enough to feed us. 
Sister C and I on the balcony of the LaSalle sister's apartment. Oh my goodness the view was incredible! Montreal is one vibrant city:)

                             We are trying to convince President that this is a much better car option for us. He's not budging


Hello!
I hope you all had a wonderful week! And Dad I hope you know that it was a struggle for me to not pick up the phone and call you! I missed you so! But I hope you had a wonderful Father's Day! You are a giant among fathers and I feel blessed to call you mine.
 
I know you are anxiously awaiting to hear news about my transfer call. Let me tell you was anxious. On Transfer Calls we are supposed to be home by 8 o'clock which is a struggle because we're usually running in circles to get home on time. Well, we practically ran in the door with enough butterflies in our stomachs to drive a person crazy. And then we waited and waited and waited. It was unnerving. And then finally at about 9 o'clock we received a call from President Cannon. He told us that I will be flushing into an Elder's area on Montreal island called Zarahemla. It is a Spanish speaking area! He also told me that I would be training and that I would have a second companion as well. Sister C is going to an area called St. Jean. And our beautiful gem, Dows Lake, will be closed for the rest of the summer. I was and I think still am in shock. I actually just laid down on my bed for a while to let it wash over me, and then I got really nervous and excited and scared and sad. It's such a rollercoaster of emotion, but I'm happy to know that it is the Lord's will. I feel really under qualified for what is to come, but I know the Lord will help me.
 
I think only an R.M. or a missionary could understand the bitter sweetness  you can feel in leaving an area. Ottawa has become a second home for me. More than Provo ever felt like home. I love Ottawa! It was here that the Lord and I became best friends. It has been Ottawa that has taught me the true gift of the Plan of Salvation. And in Ottawa I realized my potential to overcome obstacles if I but trust in the Lord. My eyes get wet everytime I think about leaving this beautiful city. I love it here, but I do know that there are many more friendships to be made and lessons to be learned in Zarahemla. But please, oh please, pray for me! This little Sister is scared and worried. I think I feel like a new mom, or at least how I imagine a new mother to feel. I'm so worried that I'm going to lead my little ones astray and that I won't teach them everything they need to know. Mostly because I still feel like a greenie.
 
Yesterday we had to say good-bye to our wonderful ward to the amazing families who have so lovingly cared for us and to our little investigators who feel like we are leaving them unfairly. Oh my heart broke over and over again. And this morning I pleaded with the Lord to take care of them. I know he will. But in the quiet moments of my own wallowing, the spirit reminded me that we break our hearts to have them put back together the way the Lord needs them. I know as I leave my home here in Ottawa, I will find a new home in Montreal.
 
The sweet side of this process is that I will get to be Hemana Perkins! Oh that makes me so happy! It will be the thrill of a lifetime to get to speak Spanish and serve with this beautiful Sisters! I know the Lord has big things in store for us.
 
I know this letter is unlike my usual prose. But I'm afraid my muse is too frazzled to write about anything other than the brokenness that come from leaving my Ottawa and the nervousness of going to Montreal. But as always I pray that you have a beautiful, safe, and happy week! That you may never forget how well the Lord knows what is best.
 
Love,
Hermana Perkins

No comments: