Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Grammar: Reflecting on Reflexive Pronouns


Ironically I didn't actually learn what a reflexive pronoun was until I started learning Spanish. In other words I had to learn another language to actually understand my native tongue. 

Reflexive pronouns are pretty easily understood. However, the reflexive pronoun "myself" gets abused every now and again. I like hearing people say things like, "I took the dog with myself,"or  "You can call Larry, Moe,  or myself."  Ok. Great. I think sometimes we add "myself" in hopes that we'll sound more eloquent. Maybe in the same regard that some people raise their pinky as they drink out of a plastic cup. Yes, it seems more regal, but really doesn't make much sense. 

Some basic rules in using reflexive pronouns are:

1. When the subject and object are the same.
ex. The band calls themselves "U2".
2. As the object of a preposition, referring to the subject.
ex. That man is talking to himself.
3. When you want to emphasize the subject.
ex. They ate all the pie themselves. 

Raise your right pinky. Do you solemnly swear that you will not misuse reflexive pronouns?
Ok, you can click here:)

No comments: