Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Roots of Debate in Education and the Hope of Dialogue


The essay "The Roots of Debate in Education and the Hope of Dialogue" by Deborah Tannen discusses our debate centered society we live in, as well as the effects it's wrought on our education system. 

Tannen writes that our society spends too much time trying to prove others wrong instead of accepting that there may be multiple ways to solve a problem. In contrast there are some cases once a point is proven we hold tightly to that point and are too scared to debate it. Tannen wrote about  an Australian resident who debated that ulcers are caused by bacteria, even though it was believed that the stomach was too sterile to support a bacteria. This is an example of when debate can be "constructive".

Tannen suggests that to go beyond dualism we must be able to catch ourselves in thinking there are only two sides of an issue. Instead we need to try to keep in mind all sides of the issue. She also suggests that we ask what's right with an opposing point. Tannen says to avoid trying to fit "ideas into any particular camp" because it "requires you to oversimplify".  This narrow-mindedness also implies that only one solution is applicable to every problem.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Sabrina,
I have noticed that as I look for rhetoric I find myself looking at the other side of a debate that was settled in my mind and considering the other angle. I didn't know before that argument could be a learning experience, probably because arguing and debating seems a little hostile, unless of course there is a way of winning the argument. You have a great way of writing. I always love to read what you have to say.

Jarom said...

Hey, great post! I really liked your assessment. I agree with your take on her points and rhetoric to focus on more sides of an issue than just two opposing points and uncover all sides of the issue. I think that light debate in form of discussion is good and can uncover truths and valuable points of a discussion. I found your post fun to read, I look forward to reading more.

Jarom said...

By the way, I love the picture! Nice visual! I think it grabs more intrigue and attention to your post!

Mike LeMond said...

Great posting. It's obvious you took the extra time to make it look great. I love the picture you added, it really puts some punch into the response. Great work and awesome blog design. KEEP IT UP!!!