Monday, February 18, 2013

 We did service for Carnival, which is a huge winter festival here in Quebec. 
We were in charge of this kiddie slope. Before they left us they gave me about two hundred instructions in really thick Quebecois and then gave me this radio that I had no idea how to use. Ah technology why must you bother me so?


Hello!!! 
How is everyone doing? I'm doing really great! This week was pretty crazy we received information last week that this last Saturday we would be getting a surprise transfer call because 4 sisters would be arriving early from the MTC. So this whole week we've all been in a panic trying to figure out who would be leaving, because President told us that one of us would be leaving to open an area in Ste. Foy which is about 15 minutes from my current area. I really wanted it to be me. Not because I don't like Quebec but Sister C and Sister Pace both served there before it closed last year, and I just felt like it would really complete my mission to be able to open an area that meant so much to both of them. I've never asked to go anywhere or to be put with a specific companion, I've trusted that the Lord knows who I need as a companion and where I need to go. So, instead I prayed that I would be able to be happy with whatever He decided. Early on Thursday morning at about 5 am I received this beautiful confirmation that all is well. I knew that whatever President felt inspired to do, would be exactly what I needed for this last month. Well, we got our call and Sister May and I will be opening the Ste. Foy area and Sister L will be staying here to train a new sister. I am so excited! I was literally jumping up and down. I know it won't be easy, but I'm excited for that. I feel like I've reached a point in my mission where I need big scary challenges. No plateauing here. The next four weeks are going to be busy, but I'm ready. 

In other exciting news... this week there was a huge young single adults conference with YSA here in Quebec, Montreal, Toronto, and my beloved Ottawa. I didn't want to get my hopes up but I really, really, really wanted to see the amazing Jeffrey Chen who is the most incredible recent convert that I could have ever asked for. I wanted to be able to see him one last time as Sister Perkins. Can you imagine my surprise when I saw him walk into the chapel? I was so stunned and so proud. He is such a great member of the church and such a good example! You should have seem how he beamed!  I felt so blessed to have had a tiny little part in his conversion process. I was also able to see a lot of other familiar faces  which made my heart ache and rejoice at the same time. It will never be the same again. I know these beautiful friends that I've made from Gatineau to Quebec will be people who not only influence me here today, but will be a driving force for me long after I've moved back into "normal" life. I feel so blessed to have met so many dear people. They are so special to me more than words could ever express. Ottawa you are a part of me. I love you! 

This week was emotionally charged. I think the end of anything feels that way. But I've been thinking a lot about change. How I've changed, how you have changed. I have changed a lot on my mission, but at the same time I'm the same. The thing that I've noticed the most in this whole process is that I'm not really afraid of change anymore. This week Sister May was asking me about my experience flushing and training in Zarahemla. Oh is that ever a story! It's funny now, but at the time it was scary. But amongst all of the insanity in Zarahemla, Hochelaga, Dows Lake, or wherever. I have never felt closer to my Father in Heaven. I knew He was there, and that He was aware of my situation. I often used the words of Mormon verses 7-8 for extra strength:
"And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he worketh in me to do according to his will.
And my prayer to God is concerning my brethren, that they may once again come to the knowledge of God, yea, the redemption of Christ; that they may once again be a delightsome people."
This whole process is not to just change the lives of other people but to help us, the missionaries or members, of this church that we too need to change and return to that God who created us all. Change is good and is a divine manifestation of love. Our God is good. 

I hope you have a great week! I know mine will be crazy and busy:) Keep your chin up! I love you bunches!!

Bisous Bisous!

Soeur Perkins

No comments: