Monday, August 6, 2012

 So I'm closing my eyes in the picture I took with Elder Meza, so I decided to put the picture of when I said bye to Ottawa. Classic of our friendship. 

Awkward Elder Dalton Sister Perkins photo.

 Don't judge us. We both started crying as soon as we saw each other. Then we thought it would be a good idea to take a picture. Elder Smedley: "So my eyes are red and blotchy." Sister Perkins: "Yeah. But it probably won't matter." After the picture looking at it on my camera. Elder Smedley: "We look depressed. No. We look we're pretending to be happy. Like a funeral picture." 

This is us trying to look way happier than we feel. So. Sad.


Howdy Ho Ranger Joe!
How is everyone doing? It's sounds like your battling colds, waiting for babies, and enjoying the last little bits of summer. Summer here has been hot, hot, hot! Except for yesterday we had Noah's Ark style rain and it cooled off about 15 degrees. Beautiful! 

Last week was crazy! I feel like the insanity never stops. It just keeps going and going. I like it sometimes, but other times by head won't stop spinning. Last Wednesday was one of the saddest days I've had on my mission. I said good-bye to some of my most favorite missionaries(Elder Meza-my best friend, Elder Smedley-my sunshine, and Elder Dalton- my Dows Lake lifesaver):( Boo! Those missionaries had a profound effect on my mission and saying good bye was so much more heartbreaking than I ever thought it could be. No one ever warned me of how easy it is to fall in love with the people you meet on your mission. The CMM will never be the same with out them. Oh boo! Now I'm sad again. 

So, the new area is great! I'm loving it. Really. I feel like this is exactly where I'm supposed to be. And my French isn't nearly as bad as I thought it was, though it's not really that great, but hey! I'm trying to be positive:) We have an investigator here named Sylvain, (he was actually found by my trainer, Sister Pace).Sylvain is really cool, he's paralyzed but has a really great outlook on life.Teaching him is really cool especially because he has a super strong Quebec accent. But the other day we had a lesson with him in the park and he said, "Will you sing for me before we end the lesson?" My companion said, "no", but I'm pretty much a sucker for all of my investigators, so Sylvain and I belted "Did you think to pray?". We had a few people stop and listen. I felt pretty cool:) We also taught our investigator Nicole who is deaf. It's amazing! You can feel the spirit in those lessons because it's so silent. I. Love. It! This area is already so very dear to my heart. 

Yesterday we went to church for the first time. I love the ward! Sadly about 80% of our ward is less active, so they really need us.Most of our ward is also Haitian, which is basically heaven. And they make us feel like they need us! Yesterday we were walking out of relief society and the ward chorister said, "Sisters please come to ward choir!" I'm a sucker for these people, right? So off we went. We got to choir and it was me, Sister Sandoval, the chorister, and three others sisters:) Sweet Choir, dude! So they're learning Silent Night in English for their Christmas program and so basically I would sing solo for a few lines and then they would all follow me. The problem was none of them could sing the part that says "round yon virgin mother and child". Instead they would sing "Ron yawn weergeen, muder and chile." And one point I was actually laughing at them because I kept thinking of that part on The Christmas Story when they go to the Chinese restaurant and the waiters are trying to sing Deck the Halls. I know I'm so mean, but really my life is like a sitcom. I. Love. It. 

This week I was studying in the Book of Mosiah during King Benjamin's speech and at one point he's preaching about the coming of the Messiah and while I was reading verse 5 of Chapter 3 where is says. "For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent who reigneth, who was, and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and curing all manner of diseases." It made me think about my sweet investigators with their own struggles some more apparent than others, and it really hit me that although we can't help Sylvain to walk or help Nicole to hear, we can help them and many others in a spiritual sense. Because what we can give to them spiritually can help them overcome their physical weaknesses. I don't know if that really makes sense. Maybe it was way more profound in my studies, but it just made me realize that no matter what the Lord is in all things. 

I hope your week is grand! Count your blessings! Eat your veggies! Scatter Sunshine! Remember I love you!

Bisous Bisous!

Soeur Perkins

No comments: