Thursday, June 10, 2010

Motherhood 101

Last weekend while I was home my niece "Fia" was also staying at my parents house.
Fia, is 18 months old, and is the silliest goose I know.
She's usually a quite the clown, but this weekend she had a nasty cold.
Every time she let out a wheezy cough my heart tore.
The weekend went by with no more than a lapse of her ability to hear me (because she chose not to) but was otherwise uneventful.
On Sunday morning I heard her wake up.
"Mom. MOM. Mommy. Mimmy. Mummy. Mama. Mammy.MOM!"
I walked in her room and pulled her out of her pack n' play.
She rubbed her eyes and nestled her head on my shoulder.
I couldn't help but think how amazing being a mother must be.

Fast forward two hours and we're sitting in a pew at church.
We made it through the first 15 minutes with little to no problems.
Until, the deacons started passing the sacrament.
I forgot to give Fia a piece of bread from the sacrament tray, which ended in protest.
Luckily, the deacon saw and came back so the little saint could have her bread, and eat it too.
Eat she did.
As the boy was walking back she protested again.
"Mo!"
Suddenly, a monster unleashed.
A fruit snack eating, goldfish tossing, diaper bag emptying, screeching monster.
I couldn't help but thinking only superhumans could be mothers.
It was the longest hour of my life.

Afterwards once we were home and she had the lay of the land again,
she came to me wrapped her arms around my leg and smiled.

I love that little monster.
xo

2 comments:

LUKE AND MONICA said...

Haha...now you know how my days are. You go from your heart being melted to being ready to pull your hair out to wanting to hug and cuddle her! But it is all worth it! I love that little crazy pants. Thanks for being an awesome aunt to her and treating her like your own when I need you! She loves her aunt Brenie!

jessica renae said...

so cute. so so cute! i love nieces! :)