Monday, November 9, 2009

Bad day? I blame the buttonhole.



Thursday was one of those days. You know the kind I'm talking about. One of those days when you want to watch reruns of the Cosby show and down a pint of Ben and Jerry's. Instead I had to go to work and then school. Boo! For my beginner sewing class we had an assignment to sew a machine buttonhole. This seems simple enough, right? Well, it was for everyone but myself.
You see it was one of those days.
I went to my machine threaded it, and sewed two pieces of a jersey knit together, fused interfacing to the back of one of them and finally sat down to sew the buttonhole. My machine insisted on a sewing a lumpy mess of thread. Again I attempted. This time I could see the beginnings of a buttonhole, until once again disaster struck and another lumpy mess appeared on my swatch of pink jersey. This went on for 5 more attempts. 5! By this time my classmates were already working on their other projects. And I'm pretty sure steam was gushing from my ears. I decided this required the help of a professional so I asked my instructor to show me exactly why my machine thought buttonhole meant loopy, lumpy mess. She came over and attempted to sew a buttonhole, and you know what? It worked! Apparently I didn't have the bottom swatch in place. But by this time my interfacing was far from usable so I needed to fuse a new piece on.... There was no interfacing in sight, however. Again my ears began to steam like a choo-choo. And by this time there was a line with girls waiting to ask the instructor questions about their projects.
There I stood thinking about the stupidity of buttonholes. And then something caught my eye there sitting in all it's beautiful splendor was a lovely four inch square of fusible interfacing. It looked like manna from the heavens themselves.I snatched it up and fused it to my jersey swatch, sat down at my machine and sewed a nearly perfect buttonhole.
I wish I could thank whoever it was that dropped that interfacing. So, I'm sending this out into the universe in hopes that it gets to you, interfacing-dropper, Thank you for making my day!

1 comment:

jessica renae said...

ah! i just did button holes, too. i'm sorry that they made you steam - it sounds to me like it was the machine causing all the problems! ;) i hope you start to love button holes soon... i adore them :D