Monday, July 23, 2012

 Isn't she radiating goodness?!


 The lovely Tatiana and Sebastian. Oh we love them!

It's kind of ridiculous how much we eat. 



Hello! 
How is everyone doing? I'm doing really well. We had a BAPTISM on Saturday!!!! It was so neat to see our little Tatiana in all white. Oh she was so beautiful! 

This week we were doing a lot of knocking as usual. And lucky for us we had a member with us so we were able to split up into two teams. So, Sister Cantu and I went and knocked a building  and the first door we knocked was a woman from El Salvador. We talked for a second at the door and then she let us in. We taught her about the Restoration and it was almost too good to be true. Then I offended her. Okay not really, but almost. As we were getting up to leave I noticed her El Salvadorian flag and so I tried to compliment it. The only problem was that I couldn't remember the Spanish word for flag (bandera), I could only remember the French word for flag (drapeau). So in my awesome French/American/Spanish accent I said "Me gusta su drapeau." She thought I said "su trapo" which I'm told means rag. She looked at me for a second like are you for real, and then after she realized I'm just a little Jesus-loving-Gringa she laughed and asked where I came from. I'm glad that I'm the endearing little gringa who makes a fool out of myself ALL.THE. TIME. Good to be charming:)

So baptism!!!! Tatiana was so ready for the day. Actually she was ready about two weeks ago, but we still had a lot to teach her. She was beaming! After she changed into a beautiful white dress and sat down you could see her antsiness, later she told us she was just so excited she wanted to jump in the water. We went back to the font so we could do a quick towel hand off and as Elder Call said the prayer the spirit was so strong that we couldn't believe it. When she came out of the water we all cried and hugged our very wet very clean Tatiana. It was beautiful. I have loved this experience of teaching her. Tatiana's conversion reminds me of a song Sister Chadburn and I used to listen that says something about conversion being more like "falling in love, than something to believe in. And more like losing my heart than giving my allegiance." I've learned so much from watching her change. Our testimonies are more than just a belief it's a way of living. And watching her walk out of the water reminded me that we all have the opportunity to be clean and that feeling is worth waiting for. 

This week I've really been missing Ottawa. A lot. I think I left my heart there. Or at least a piece of it. Oh how I miss that beautiful city. I just keep reminding myself that it took me a while to really feel like Ottawa was home. But now I just want to go back. Don't get me wrong I love my area and our little investigators but Ottawa is where I learned to be a real missionary. 

If I had a favor to ask of you this week it would be to please, please, please pray for our little investigators. Our mission currently has 30 people committed for baptism for this week and last weekend. We would really love for all of those children to be able to enter the waters of baptism. But we need your prayers. 

This week in personal study I finished the whole conference edition of the Ensign. It was sad. I love Conference!!! I really loved all of the talks from the young women's broadcast and I especially loved President Monson's council in his talk about obeying and enduring.
"I have spoken over the years with many individuals who have told me, “I have so many problems, such real concerns. I’m overwhelmed with the challenges of life. What can I do?” I have offered to them, and I now offer to you, this specific suggestion: seek heavenly guidance one day at a time. Life by the yard is hard; by the inch it’s a cinch. Each of us can be true for just one day—and then one more and then one more after that—until we’ve lived a lifetime guided by the Spirit, a lifetime close to the Lord, a lifetime of good deeds and righteousness. The Savior promised, “Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life." Our goal is eternal life. That really struck me as I watched Tatiana make the first covenant with Heavenly Father this weekend. It was such a tender reminder that we all have to take it a day at a time and in the end we can inherit Eternal life.


I wish I had more to say. I feel like a lot of what happens is too sacred, or too impossible to explain in words. But I know that the Lord lives. I know he loves me. and I know that this is where I need to be. Thank you for your love. Your prayers. Your support. I need them and oh how I pray for you.

Love,
Sister Perkins


No comments: